Parallels Desktop Version 13.2.0 (43213) unusably slow!

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by SamiR1, Nov 23, 2017.

1. SamiR1

SamiR1 Bit poster

Again I did it! I bit the bullet and updated Parallels to it's newest version. Now my Windows 10 virtual machine is/feels ten times slower than before the update. Also the Os X feels sluggish. Even the Windows is just idling, Os X shows 100 - 200% load for cpu. I should be able to work tomorrow, now I can't, and I can't take this anymore.

On my Mid-2015 Macbook pro I have given Windows 8/16 Gb of memory and 4/8 cores. This worked beautifully today before the update.

It seems that every third update for Parallels this same kind of sh*t! Is it possible to download earlier versions somewhere? Or do I have to switch to VirtualBox or VMware?

I feel sick inside.

2. MarkusB6

MarkusB6 Bit poster

Same here. Updated to 13.2 and now my windows 10 explorer keeps crashing after login, is very slow, UWP apps will not allow to enter any text,...

3. MarkusB6

MarkusB6 Bit poster

Additional information:
    i have done the following without any luck:
    • Reinstalled parallel tools
    • changed directX from Version 10 to 9
    • Created a new VM definition with the original DiskImage
    I have now created a support ticket

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @MarkusB6, please shut down the virtual machine and go to it's VM configuration settings, Hardware -> USB & Bluetooth ->Advanced settings -> untick " Enable USB 3.0" and check out the virtual machine performance.

5. MarkusB6

MarkusB6 Bit poster

I spinned up a new Windows 10 VM yesterday and that vm is working as it should. With that knowledge i thought that the problem may be the VM / Windows 10 itself and not the Parallels Desktop.
    Therefore i recovered my VM via Backup from a state that was about 2 month ago. After doing this the vm works as it should again. I think my problem was the Windows 10 installation that got corrupted and after "fixing" this all my problems are gone.

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @MarkusB6, glad to know that you have found that root cause of the issue and able to restore the backup files successfully. Feel free to reach out anytime and we are here to help!

7. SamiR1

SamiR1 Bit poster

My situation is better as CPU load for idle Windows hovers around 20 % now (instead of 100 - 200 % it was just after the update). I did a clean install and also changed at least one setting, namely in the Advanced Settings for CPU & Memory I changed the Hypervisor from 'Apple' to 'Parallels' (enabled 'Adaptive Hypervisor' too). I think this setting was required in the opposite direction ('Parallels' to 'Apple') to get some previous update working.

Now my only problem is that changing resolutions when switching between different displays does not work as well as before. But I take this now.

No more updates in the middle of the week for me (and without proper backups).

8. deanesfield

deanesfield Bit poster

I have a similar issue which seemed to start somewhere since the middle of last week or this last weekend. I reached out to Parallels and had a response right away. The agent didn't appear to know what what had happened and suggested that we have a remote session, after referring me to an article "How can I improve virtual machine performance on my Mac?". I am not in a position to allow remote access for the next short while, so looked further online and found an issue on an apple forum which may offer some information here.

URL is https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8122451?start=45&tstart=0. The very slow graphic appears on both the native MacOS High Sierra and also with guest Windows 10 and appears after a some time (and could also be after a sleep event).

I have considered reverting to El Capitan or Sierra and PD12 but decided to wait a few days to see if there is further information coming. My project will have to bear the pain of rebooting or logout/login on the MBP 15"R mid 2012 for few days, when it occurs. I hope that this helps.

In the meantime I read up for the possibility of restoring a complete system HD from a previous system backup.

9. Lindee

Lindee Bit poster

Thanks! This worked perfectly!

10. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @Lindee, glad to know it works. We are always here to help!

11. alan1j

alan1j Member

i have the same problem but on checking usb 3 was already unchecked

12. DavidZ7

DavidZ7 Bit poster

I have the same problem (which is a very recent occurrence) and unchecking USB 3.0 did not make any difference. Prior to upgrading to version 13, Windows 7 would start up in a few seconds - not it takes minutes! I'm glad I didn't upgrade my other mac because it doesn't have the same problem.

13. smithsj2318

smithsj2318 Bit poster

I have the same issue. Unchecking USB 3.0 did not make a difference at all.

14. DavidZ7

DavidZ7 Bit poster

I think the problem is related to the latest MacOS update (Dec.06.17) from Apple. I installed a version of Linux on my laptop and launched it - same slowness on startup. I also tried Windows 7 on my high-end iMac running version 11.x of Parallels and it exhibits the same slowness issue.

15. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @alan1j, could you please go to Help menu of Parallels Desktop application and send us the technical data report via Send Technical Data... menu item? Then, post the number here.

16. UrsulaF

UrsulaF Bit poster

I suffer from the same problem: it take more than 3 minutes for Windows 10 to start under Parallels 13 (High Sierra) ; when using the former Parallels version it took seconds - and I mean seconds - for Windows 10 to start (Sierra)

when will this problem be solved? sorry, but it is not acceptable

17. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

Please let us know the version of Mac OS X running on your Mac (Apple icon -> About This Mac) and the version of Parallels Desktop (see http://bit.ly/1mE3Gpf for assistance) installed on your machine.Thanks!

18. DavidZ7

DavidZ7 Bit poster

I had three calls with Parallels support team and it appears my problem is resolved. During the last call (yesterday) the support person indicated my AV software was using a lot of resources and was (thus) preventing the PD virtual machine from launching in a timely manner. Once the "real time" AV protection was disabled, my Windows 7 virtual machine launched very quickly - as it had in the past. What I find most interesting, is that the AV software had never prevented the virtual machine from launching in the past year, but I guess something could have changed in some piece of software that caused a conflict. So the solution from the support person was to disable real-time AV protection to make the virtual machine experience quicker. I'm not certain that is a viable solution for me, and perhaps many other people experiencing the same problem.

I did some research to see what "free" AV software is available for a MAC and downloaded "SOPHOS HOME". It provides real-time protection and does not appear to have a negative impact on Parallels - in that my virtual machine(s) launch very quickly. So, if anyone experiencing the "slowness" problem is using an AV product on their MAC, try disabling the AV software and then launching your virtual machine. If it launches quickly, then uninstall the AV software and install something else.

Hopefully this solution will help you! :)

alexg likes this.
  19. UrsulaF

UrsulaF Bit poster

hello Meena,
    here are the requested details:
    I'm using Mac OS X 10.13.2 and Parallels 13.2.0 (43213)
    btw this time it took 4 min. 35 sec. to start Windows 10 .....

20. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Guys, if anyone has an antivirus running in macOS, please check the VM performance with the AV software disabled.
    Avira Free Antivirus for sure causes performance degradation, the details are here: http://kb.parallels.com/en/124336