Ubuntu 16.04 unusable

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by James Rome, Apr 27, 2016.

1. KenT5

KenT5 Bit poster

I have just bought Parallels 12 to install Ubuntu 16.04. It does not work. I have a top of the range Mac with all latest software. This is not good enough.

2. T.J.S

T.J.S Bit poster

I've quit running Windows on my Macbook Air (my main use for Parallels). I've since moved to using VirtualBox because the Linux support (I mainly use Kali in a VM) is vastly superior. Whenever I install Parallels Tools inside any modern (Ubuntu 16.04, Kali) Linux VM, it completely breaks. Seeing that Parallels 12 doesn't resolve this helped me make up my mind to not pay for the upgrade when a free tool is superior.

3. JamesR14

JamesR14 Bit poster

I've just done a fresh install of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with Parallels v11.2.3 and Ubuntu is stuck at 800x600 resolution.
    I've tried installing the Parallels Tools to fix the resolution but that fails with the following error:
    Error: could not build kernel modules
    Error: failed to install kernel modules

4. JamesR14

JamesR14 Bit poster

Additional info about my previous post here ^, I should have mentioned that before installing Ubuntu 16 clean, I first tried upgrading my existing Ubuntu 14 VM but now that VM doesn't boot :/

5. RichardH15

RichardH15 Bit poster

Just tried to update to 16.04 and it seems to have the same issues as everyone else. Thankfully, I made a snapshot before upgrading. I'm guessing people who use Linux thinking that parallels would be a good solutions, should consider different alternatives. I don't get a sense that Parallels wants to support outside of MS. I will say it works great if you want an out of date LTS version of Ubuntu.