Parallels 13 macOS Sierra High Windows 10 slow performance

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by PatrickG5, Oct 14, 2017.

1. PatrickG5

PatrickG5 Bit poster

Hello community,
    i have the newest version of parallels desktop 13 and since I have upgraded to macOS Sierra High my VM has really bad performance. Apart from many graphic bugs, when the VM is in fullscreen, it takes much longer to boot windows 10 and also when its ready, its slow. Parallels drop my battery fast as hell, I mean when my MacBook Pro late 2016 has 100% battery it drops like 70% in 3 Hours. Also my MacBook Pro gets hot when im on the VM, independent from what I am doing. What can I do to get a better performance without let my macbook running hot.

Thanks in advance!

2. BradyM1

BradyM1 Bit poster

Best Answer
    After tearing my hair out for a month with these same symptoms, I finally found a fix. Anyone having slow performance who uses Avira, a simple solution awaits you at:
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/124336
    Parallels is beautiful once again!

3. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @PatrickG5 , please follow steps suggested in the article and let us know if that helps.

PatrickG5 likes this.
  4. PatrickG5

PatrickG5 Bit poster

I did now and I will inform if that really helps. Another problem I noticed is that when I start the VM with Windows 10, I always get a folder, which I deleted months ago in my waste basket on MacOs. I think I copied that folder from Windows 10 to MacOs and deleted it on MacOs. Now it always comes back in my waste basket on MacOs when I start the VM. How can I fix that?

5. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @PatrickG5 , please help us with the screenshots, we will check and help you out.

PatrickG5 likes this.
  6. PatrickG5

PatrickG5 Bit poster

The folder gets in my waste basket in MacOs after I opened the program which I used on Windows 10 to edit the folder.
    Screenshot 2017-10-23 um 06.31.46.png

7. RanC

RanC Bit poster

@PatrickG5 was reporting a slow performance problem after upgrading to macOS Sierra High.
    I'm having the same problem, I've been using Parallels for many years now and I really notice there's something with the performance after this upgrade (or is the Windows10 new version).

In any case, your suggested article is super generic article and not referring specifically to your latest version (13) of OSX latest version (I could have guessed my self that upgrading the Mac Book Pro Ram would make it run faster...)

Is there a more specific solution ?

8. alan1j

alan1j Member

i have to agree with Ranc i have a fusion drive on a 2016 iMac with 24gb internal memory . The time taken in starting windows 10 and running programs is ridiculous please give none generic help

9. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Guys, could you please open Windows Task Manager in a time when you experiencing slow response and take a look what a process eats CPU?

10. alan1j

alan1j Member

nothing untoward on start up but takes an age to fire up also programs now take longer to load very frustrating . Also i use sage i have noticed since update in systems i have to now manually fire up sage data service even though it is set to start automatically . VERY FRUSTRATED

11. YannickM2

YannickM2 Bit poster

I have Parallels 13 Home Edition and since I have upgraded to macOS Sierra High my VM cannot perform basic tasks that I graciously used to do prior to the update.
    • It takes much longer to boot windows 10 and also when its ready, you still have to wait a few seconds for items on the Windows 10 Task Bar to be available.
    • I usually sync files between 2 external HDDs. Once the sync process starts, it slows down after a couple minutes to the extent of freezing while syncing files as big as 2.6 GB in my case, thus making the Windows 10 VM unstable. I have not only to force quit the windows 10 VM but also to restart my MacBook Pro to bring everything back to normal. Also there are many graphic bugs, especially when resizing the VM window. Trust me, it's very bad, did I say very bad. I spent 4 hours trying to troubleshoot the problem until I found this forum where people are sort of complaining about the same issue. As recommend earlier by "alexg", I opened Task Manager when the issue occurred and the CPU utilization was at 34% (it went up then went down, surely because the system froze). By the way I have the last Parallels 13 update "Version 13.2.0 (43213)".
    • I really think that you should probably review the boot performance of Parallels 13 with the new macOS Sierra High file system (APFS) "Apple File System" and how Parallels 13 handles large files transfer in this new environment (This is just a suggestion).
    It will be great not only to acknowledge the problem and but also to let people know if potential fixes/improvements are coming up. It will calm down the community's frustration.
    Thanks in advance.
    Here is my MacBook Pro specs if it may help:
    Hardware Overview:
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro12,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MBP121.0171.B00
    SMC Version (system): 2.28f7
    Serial Number (system): C02PRJDPFVH5
    Hardware UUID: 434B5FE0-FE78-558C-B350-195FF2528FC9

12. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

13. YannickM2

YannickM2 Bit poster

Thanks for the link @alexg. This is quite a detailed article. To respond to your question, the 34% CPU usage was associated with several processes but the main one was my syncing tool (BestSyncc 2018). There was a spike for a couple seconds then everything went down to 3-5% because files transfer stalled. I tried to do it manually and I got the same result.

14. StanN

StanN Bit poster

Yesterday I purchased and installed Parallels 13 on my 2017 iMac running Windows 10. Immediately, I noticed that booting Windows 10 now takes forever. Opening Windows applications result in a long delay much longer than with Parallels 12 which I replaced. Also the frames around the windows that I had customized to a specific color scheme have now gone to no color when they fnially do open. There appears based on these other posts, a recurring problem with Parallels 13. I just wanted to add my comments to the group to verify the same results. I hope a fix can be found soon as I now regret installing Parallels 13.

15. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

Hello StanN, for the performance issue, please follow as suggested in this article and for the color issue, please take a screenshot of it and reply with the same. Thanks!

16. StanN

StanN Bit poster

This is one of the windows that used to be (with Parallels 12) turquoise green on the top of the frame. Also the minimize, full screen, close buttons in the inner window have all become scrunched together. This is accompanied be extremely slow response time for opening this window relative to Parallels 12. I don't believe the VM settings are not maximized in that I have a 2017 iMac with 16 Gb memory and a 3 Terabyte fusion drive and it was working perfectly fine before I upgraded from Parallels 12 to Parallels 13.

17. StanN

StanN Bit poster

Here is the window for the previous post:

Window.png

18. MichelleA1

MichelleA1 Bit poster

Hi

I have been experiencing problems ever since I bought Parallels 12 on 17th August this year. I then received a free upgrade to Parallels 13 on 22 August, hoping that there would be better performance, but unfortunately, that has not been the case. I then paid for the Parallels Toolbox on 10th October.

I am running a Virtual Machine on the new Mac 4k retina that came out this year;
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Intel Core i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00 GHz, 1.0GB RAM, Parallels Desktop Display Adapter (WDDM)

Windows is running ridiculously slow, and my Task Manager states that I am constantly running at 100% disk space. I have partitioned to 4GB on Windows 8.1, which is exactly same as I have on my HP All-In-One, where I don't have any of these problems.

Please see attached image of Task Manager approximately 20 seconds after I opened Windows;

100pc Disk Space.png
    Outlook, Word, Excel and Chrome are endlessly "Not Responding" (even my Task Manager!) and my Mac starts crackling like it's about to explode.

I had McAfee Total Security on both Mac and Windows. I stripped it off Windows as in one of the forum threads it said it would speed up my computer and I installed Kaspersky, but absolutely nothing has changed.

Please tell what information you need to fix this.

19. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro

20. MichelleA1

MichelleA1 Bit poster

Please bear in mind this took me 20 minutes to copy and paste the command prompt text into Word, I am absolutely livid.

I would be happy to send you privately the screen recording I made using your toolbox for 4 minutes and 22 seconds of it.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
    (c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

:\Windows\system32>sfc / scannow

Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Resource Checker Version 6.0
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Scans the integrity of all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

SFC [/SCANNOW] [/VERIFYONLY] [/SCANFILE=<file>] [/VERIFYFILE=<file>]
    [/OFFWINDIR=<offline windows directory> /OFFBOOTDIR=<offline boot directory>]

/SCANNOW Scans integrity of all protected system files and repairs files with problems when possible.
    /VERIFYONLY Scans integrity of all protected system files. No repair operation is performed.
    /SCANFILE Scans integrity of the referenced file, repairs file if problems are identified. Specify full path <file>
    /VERIFYFILE Verifies the integrity of the file with full path <file>. No repair operation is performed.
    /OFFBOOTDIR For offline repair specify the location of the offline boot directory
    /OFFWINDIR For offline repair specify the location of the offline windows directory

e.g.

sfc /SCANNOW
    sfc /VERIFYFILE=c:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll
    sfc /SCANFILE=d:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll /OFFBOOTDIR=d:\ /OFFWINDIR=d:\windows
    sfc /VERIFYONLY

21. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @StanN, please shut down the virtual machine and go to it's VM configuration settings, Hardware -> USB & Bluetooth ->Advanced settings -> untick " Enable USB 3.0" and check out the virtual machine performance.