Remote Desktop Usage

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by snpower, Sep 22, 2007.

1. snpower

snpower Member

I have Xp SP2 installed on my my Mac and also my father's machine. He requires some assistance and, in my pre-mac days I used RD a lot. I can't get it to connect after he issues an invitation - I get the error message that "the host name could not be resolved". Any tips on how to fix this problem? The only item checked off under my network adapter in Parallels is "shared networking"

2. brkirch

brkirch Pro

In order to connect between computers, the network adapter of the virtual machine in Parallels must be set to "Bridged Ethernet".

3. snpower

snpower Member

Ok - and how is this accomplished? Simply selecting the Parallels adapter under 'Network Connections' and choosing 'Bridge Connections' results in an error message stating that I must have two adapters not in use...

4. brkirch

brkirch Pro

You don't need to do anything with "Network Connections". Leave the Parallels adapters AND the network adapter you need to connect to the other computer turned on in System Preferences. While the virtual machine is open in Parallels but not started, go to the "Edit" menu and select "Virtual Machine...". Then select the network adapter from the list on the left on the window, and set "Emulation" to "Bridged Ethernet".

5. snpower

snpower Member

Ok, I found that setting but the error message still persists.

6. snpower

snpower Member

Looks like it's a lot more complicated than I thought - having to open ports on the wireless router and what not...

7. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I use RDC, but I only access it through VPN which takes away a lot of routing issues (actually, port 3389 is not accessible through my firewall for security reasons).

Here is the run-down, you need to have the port accessible to an outside request:
    HC = His Computer; YC = Your Computer; YR = Your Router; HR = His Router; YISP = Your ISP; HISP = His ISP

Here is a guess of the path of communication to initiate the connection:
    YC -> YR -> YISP -> HISP -> HR -> HC

The following is under the assumption the above true:

As you can see, it is outbound traffic as far as your connection is concerned, which is rarely blocked unless you are behind a corporate firewall. The issue is that it is inbound to him, in which case, unless you changed the default port, you need to forward Port 3389 to his windows machine.

Bridged Networking is the easiest way to give the VM a port that can be accessed (it gives a seperate IP to the VM, versus the Mac acting as a router). If you want to use shared networking and forward the port by manual settings, you will have to configure the natd and ipfw services. Unless you need to use shared networking, just going with Bridged will make your life much easier.

In summary, if he has his own external IP, that is, his ISP does not have him share it, you will most likely be able to get to his router. In which case, you will need his router to forward the port 3389 to his Windows VM's IP address. If you get that working, you should be set.