Mac Os 9?

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by morktron, Jul 13, 2007.

1. morktron

morktron Bit poster

Hi, I don't suppose anyone has tried to run Mac Os 9 as a Virtual Machine in Parallels?

I have a client who uses a pre-war Mac and says they can't see the website I'm building for them. I'd like to emulate their machine and see for myself.

Can I do this with Parallels?

2. AlanH

AlanH Pro

Parallels only supports OS's that run on Intel CPU hardware, which excludes OS 9. You would have to run an OS 9 emulator in Windows or Linux, by which time you may already be too far from your client's set-up to get useful results.

OS 9 is now at least seven years old, and compatible browsers (usually IE and Netscape ...) are very old versions, with version numbers around 4. If you are using any AJAX in your development, just as one example, then I somehow doubt if any browser for OS 9 will handle it. Most CSS is probably a no-no as well.

3. morktron

morktron Bit poster

Thanks Alan, that's all very usefull to know. I've told them to upgrade and get with the program. Thanks again

mark

4. itsdapead

itsdapead Hunter

Get client to try iCab

Not strictly Parallels-related, but you could have a look at iCab:
    http://www.icab.de/ - a rather more up-to-date web browser that still supports Mac OS 9 and might allow your client to view the website (along with lots of other websites that will play havoc with old MacOS 9 browsers...)

Or you could point your client at the Apple Store :)

5. Ken Cunningham

Ken Cunningham Member

You don't need to run MacOS9 as a virtual machine under parallels. You can run it directly on an intel Mac (or other intel computers if you like) using "Sheepsaver"; google "SheepSaver" for more information.

======
    http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/en/projects/sheepshaver

SheepShaver is an Open Source PowerPC MacOS run-time environment. That is, it enables you to run PowerPC Classic MacOS software on your computer, even if you are using a different operating system. However, you still need a copy of MacOS and a PowerMacintosh ROM image to use this program. SheepShaver is distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL).
    ======

I'm running it right now on my macbookpro and it works well enough for what I need.

6. morktron

morktron Bit poster

Cool, thanks Ken, that looks promising, i'll give it a go :)