Networking problem

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ThomasD1, Jun 23, 2017.

1. ThomasD1

ThomasD1 Junior Member

I posted before in an older thread about very low network speed with Windows Server 2016.
    but now, there is something different with another VM:

[​IMG]
    http://imgur.com/a/bgFVK

This setting gives me an abysmal network speed; roughly 1/100th of the network speed of the Mac.

If I go to 'shared network'

[​IMG]
    http://imgur.com/a/D9ps7

then Windows stays stuck on "Identifying" for a long time, then it shows "Unidentified Network" and I have no network access.

This happens only with Windows Server 2016, no other versions of Windows.

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

3. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Please check VM Configuration > Hardware > Network then try changing the type of network adapter and check.

4. ThomasD1

ThomasD1 Junior Member

After reinstalling the Parallels tools, it fails differently:
    - Shared network now sees a connection when it starts up, until you try to use it and then it goes into a 'no network' situation.
    - Default adapter still has the same speed.

This is specific to Windows Server 2016, the other VMs I have with different versions of Windows do not have that problem at all.
    This is the 2nd Windows Server 2016 VM that has similar network problems.

5. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @ThomasD1, you may go to Computer Configuration/Policies/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Local Policies/Security Options, and set Domain member: Digitally encrypt or sign secure channel data (always) and Microsoft network server: Digitally sign communications (always) to Disabled. Restart your Windows 2016 server virtual machine and check the network.

6. ThomasD1

ThomasD1 Junior Member

[​IMG]
    http://imgur.com/a/zHoSF

It it still the same problem, that didn't change anything; the host has 120/8mbps; this happens both with wifi and ethernet.

I also tried to set the VM to use the ethernet directly I get exactly the same result.
    A Windows 10 VM on the same host gets a high speed, so it's really linked to Windows Server 2016.

One interesting fact is that the speed is very consistent across tests, as if there was some throttling in place.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  7. ThomasD1

ThomasD1 Junior Member

That's it! If I select network conditioner and I put the settings on custom / illimited, I get the right speed.
    So, there is a profile applied to the connection; that should help narrow it down very closely.

8. lorein

lorein Member

To fix it first check your network card, router, USB wireless dongle and others first disconnect the network cables and then reconnect it. After that if these all are working fine then update the network card drivers and check for the error is fixed or not.
    Hope this will help you.

9. ThomasD1

ThomasD1 Junior Member

I already posted the solution to the problem. Besides none of the step mentioned here have anything to do with the problem and you're promoting a dubious link as well.

10. Scanbuoy

Scanbuoy Bit poster

I have a comparable issue with a Linux VM. I had the network conditioner at some time in the past, for a while, to test a scenario with lousy networking. Now when I disable the network conditioner I get 300 kB/s network speed. To get full speed I need to enable the network conditioner and select a profile with unlimited resources.