Parallels keeps freezing up on Sierra

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by brettr2, Sep 22, 2016.

1. BorislavA

BorislavA Bit poster

I am really using a mouse and 99% of the times it freezes up I am without a mouse. Just very annoying and I cannot work at all!

2. BorislavA

BorislavA Bit poster

Here is a report id (231910560). I noticed that it freezes always when I try to switch between applications using the mouse and clicking on the taskbar (not using ALT+TAB).
    @parallels, I would appreciate a prompt reaction here.

P.S. I am using High Sierra.

3. TylerC3

TylerC3 Bit poster

I have the same problem with a Parallels install

4. VjaceslavP

VjaceslavP Bit poster

I have the same problem with a Parallels 13 and Sierra 10.13.2

5. BorislavA

BorislavA Bit poster

I upgraded to Parallels 13 and since then I am working without problems for now :)

6. DarienJim

DarienJim Junior Member

I was finding about two months ago with Windows 7 running under Parallels 12 freezing on my 2013 iMac (but interestingly enough never under on my newer MBOP 15". I upgraded to Parallels 13 thinking this would fix it and for the most part it seems to be running better until last night when I had to the 10.13.2 security update. Now it is completely frozen. I have wired Apple keyboard wireless mouse. Can imagine that is the issue. Any ideas?

7. RyanB5

RyanB5 Bit poster

This original post is from Sept 2016 and there is no solution!? I am not sure if this is the same problem I am having or not but it seems similar.
    I have version 13 of Parallels and Window 10.
    Mine froze and then when I restarted it nothing opens or is selectable. i can open the File Explorer window, but can't select anything in it, or open any files. I can't open files in the startup window either, nothing selects.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2018
  8. MarceloM

MarceloM Bit poster

Same thing here - and what an annoying issue this is.
    Randomly freezes up the mac (started on Sierra). Running Sierra 10.12.6 and Parallels 12.2.1 with Windows 10.
    Rainbow spinning wheel, mac frozen. Only the mouse cursor can be moved around, but don't respond to any click or mouse overs. Caps lock light keeps responding, but even when I disconnect the external monitor, the mac won't change a damn thing on screen. Noticed the left side of the MbP real hot after this happens - so I bought an App to turn all vents to 100% as soon as any temperature starts to abnormally go up - did not, solve it.

I use Parallels daily and it's happening almost once a week. Loosing work and loosing patience... Does anyone knows if upgrading to High Sierra solves it?

And one more thing: Can anyone tell me where to check for those log files? Probably my disk is filled with them by now... :(

Thanks in advance.

9. Jeff7

Jeff7 Junior Member

So crickets on this thread huh? This has really started becoming a huge problem for me. I'm running the latest version of parallels and MacOS 10.13.4. It seems to happen more when I am in coherence mode. Sometimes it will "come back" if I wait long enough. Sometimes I can get the apps to respond if I switch out of coherence mode. Sometimes the only way to recover is to kill parallels and start over.

It is telling that the Parallel folks cannot seem to find a fix for this after so long and that they seem to be totally ignoring the problem.

10. MarceloM

MarceloM Bit poster

Jeff7,
    Far from a definitive solution, but try this:
    Since I noticed that the mac was getting really hot on every freeze (and just to be clear, this may not be the case with you since our problems appear to be slightly different - in my case the virtual machine AND the real machine got stuck with no way out), I installed TG Pro (an app to monitor temperature on all sensors). Found out that in most cases it was probably related to temperature (since some sensors were reading 100C close to the halting point). I then created rules on TG PRo to set all fans to full speed as soon as temperature starts to rise above acceptable. It really reduced the simptoms. It appears to me that somehow parallels (or Windows inside the VM) make an abnormal use of CPU cores, setting just one of them to a very high usage (and thus rising the temperature on the specific used core to above the limit, while the average CPU temperature is still below it) causing OS fan rules not to spin accordingly to what would be expected. Luckly using apps like TG Pro you're able to set your own rules and maybe correct it... Hope this helps in your case as well.

11. JanK14

JanK14 Bit poster

Hi@All,

I had a similar problem with my MacBook Mid2015.
    With parallels 13 and Windows7 I wasn't able to use my MacBook in battery mode.
    If I don't use win7 for about 2-3 minutes, it freezed. The same happens if the MacBook goes to sleep mode or I have closed it.
    That was really terrible, yesterday I loosed a complete presentation and one day work.
    After the last update it was more crazy, it happens already after some seconds. I could only interrupt the VM and restart.
    But plugged to the power supply, all works fine.

Today I have make a downgrade to the last P12 version and now all works fine.

Jan

12. MattC12

MattC12 Bit poster

Kevin,
    Were you able to resolve this? I am running into the exact same issues randomly with Parallels 14 and Win10 Pro with latest Windows updates on MacOS 10.14 nothing I have tried seems to work. I did install TG Pro today to see if it will but curious if you found a resolution. Thanks

13. KevinB7

KevinB7 Member

Matt,
    Sort of, but I'm not entirely sure how. I have Parallels 13 and I'm so far running High Sierra not Mojave. I no longer get the random freezes. It is possible (potentially unlikely) that if you have autoprotect without notify that it could be taking a snapshot although I seem to recall that shows it is taking snapshot (because there is no scheduler for autoprotect, I had to start it off at 0300am so that every 24 hours it would take the snapshot and not screw with whatever I was working on).

Regardless, there are several reports that show errors with wireless mouse (for example: 10-11 13:17:54.681 W /LocalDevices:1243:73999/ [CPs2Mouse] event queuing failed) from earlier posters. I'm no longer using a wireless mouse I'm using a hardwired USB mouse, coincidence? By any chance are you using a wireless mouse and, in the log file, do you see an error with 'mouse' in the line somewhere at about the tike the freeze started? as in [CPs2Mouse]?

If you have Mojave and Parallels 14 I suspect you have the same issue, not solved and if/whatever fix was put in didn't solve the same issue in 14.

Sorry can't be of anymore help...
    Kevin

14. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @MattC12, can you please follow this article to check out I/O error in the hard disk?

15. KevinB7

KevinB7 Member

Matt,
    As noted above, the problem went away. I have upgraded to Parallels 14 and I don't seem to get the freezes (I have one dev app 'RAD Studio XE10.2.3 Tokyo' that consistently freezes for several seconds especially when changing projects, but I don't think that's a Parallels thing). As noted above, one of the tings that was causing grief was AUTOPROTECT saving snapshots in the background which just kills the system.

Parallels support have sent you off to check for hard disk errors. It's probably worth trying that as a process of elimination, but these errors seem to either resolve themselves or just stay there. Since it is no longer an issue for me, if you haven't already, you need to OPEN a SUPPORT CASE. You will get a case number and will be asked to send spindumps and other log files, their supposed tech gurus will at least look at the logs and see exactly where the hangs are. At the moment you as simply doing best guess/obvious stuff. So my advice OPEN A SUPPORT CASE and deal with it directly with Parallels Support.
    When you sign in you can raise a ticket.
    Good luck.

16. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @MattC12, could you please clarify if you use Synergy application regularly in Windows and if it is the application that allows using mouse across multiple devices?
    Please temporarily uninstall it from Mac and Windows, or at last from Windows - it could interfere into the working of Parallels mouse driver thus causing the behavior you faced.

17. BWM

BWM Bit poster

I'm running Parallels 15 on a 2015 MacBook Pro 15" 16Gb RAM 500Gb Hard drive Retina.

My VM is Yosemite in order to run 32 bit software etc. I am still subject to random freezes of the VM. The cursor still works but NOTHING responds, no error messages, no beachball - nothing.

My only alternative is to select Actions and Stop the VM, all options that involve the VM restarting seem to work until the next freeze which seems to be utterly random.

Disk Utility gives no errors on my computer's SSD OR the VM 'hard drive' when VM is active.

This really is beyond frustration but I'm relieved to see I'm not the only one suffering.