memory error with new 2GB RAM

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by pacepac, May 16, 2006.

1. pacepac

pacepac Bit poster

Hello,

I'am happy to have now mor RAM (2GB) in my mac-mini. But now I cannot work with parallels. First I had to reinstall parallels and now it is not possible to start a virtual system I am allways getting the message:

"Parallel workstation experience problem, when trying to allocate memory. Please restart the application."

It's also not possible to install a new virtual system, because the same error message appears.

Does anybody have a solution for this problem.

I would be very pleased for replys ...

Thank you

Harald

2. Sheppy

Sheppy Hunter

Well, I have 2 GB in both my iMac and my MacBook Pro and Parallels works fine.

3. Drewmangroup

Drewmangroup Member

I would use memtest to make sure the memory is good.

4. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

Man this is an area i have found you cant skimp on. The associate that got me into the mac mini and using parallels tried using sub $100 per 1 Gig memory stick and had to take it out and return it. I got the fastest i could find.

incidently, does anyone know what i can do with these 2 256Meg original Mac Mini Memory Sticks, do you think someone would buy them on like EBay?

5. Sheppy

Sheppy Hunter

Macs tend to be really picky about memory; buying cheap stuff often turns ugly.

I've had surprisingly good luck selling memory on eBay. They won't sell for a ton of money, but usually I get enough to be worth the effort.

6. Scott Willsey

Scott Willsey Hunter

This has nothing to do with the memory you bought, I have 2 GB of the apple provided SO-DIMM ram and parallels does the same thing from time to time.

It's a parallels problem.

7. pacepac

pacepac Bit poster

Thank you all for your replies.

Meanwhile I found a way to use parallels again.

I deleted all parallel files except the virtual machines and reinstalled parallels completely new. I opened the old vm's and they work, but not properly. Word 2000 under Windows 2000 crashes if I want to start it. So I suppose I have to prepare a new Virtual Machine with a new system.

I hope I will not get the same repeating problem like Scott.

Scott, what are you doing if this problem occurs?

Harald

8. Scott Willsey

Scott Willsey Hunter

Restarting Parallels always fixes it in my case.