Transporter Lies! can't convert VPC7 .vhdp file

Discussion in 'Parallels Transporter' started by essarr, Apr 29, 2007.

1. essarr

essarr Bit poster

Well, I've tried everything I can think of. I had a working VPC7 install until a forced upgrade to intel macpro. I had saved the drive image both ways - (a) as auto expanding file and (b) as fixed size disk.

Trying to import with transporter, or using transporter alone results in the folowing...

(1) transporter can't see inside the vhdp package file to get to the BaseDrive.vhd file hidden inside (and ctrl click doesn't work with the transporter file requester) and it complains that it is unable to read from the virtual disk image.

(2) if I use the finder to extract the BaseDrive.vhd from inside the package and copy it elsewhere, transporter complains that it is not a valid disk image.

one would think that transporter should just be able to handle the native format that VPC7 disk images are in, and grab the contents from within the package file.

Is there some esoteric secret to being able to do this (not that there should be!)

2. martinm

martinm Bit poster

Exact same problem here! Is there any solution? It would be devastating for me to have to recreate the entire virtual disk. I just purchased Parallels 3 and was trying to use transporter to import the virtual disk.

3. Brian G B

Brian G B Bit poster

Use transporter from Parallels version 2.5

I had the same problem with the transporter in Parallels version 3.0. Another post on this forum said the transporter from version 2.5 works for vpc7 files. So I downloaded this and tried and it seems to work fine. It is importing my vpc7 Windows XP now.

I had to unninstall version 3.0, then install version 2.5. After imorting from VPC, then reinstall version 3.0 again.

4. martinm

martinm Bit poster

Thanks for the tip. I found another method which is easier searching these forums (and suggested in the first post here), namely viewing the package contents of the .vhdp and extracting the BaseDrive.vhd file, then passing that to transporter. I did this and it imported it without errors. I haven't had a chance to make sure it works yet as I still haven't received my new activation code from Parallels :). I'll report back with the results once i activate v3.0.

5. Helen@Parallels

Helen@Parallels Parallels Developers

6. rstrauch

rstrauch Junior Member

I'd like to try using Transporter 2.5, but how do I get it? I just signed up for the trial last week and only 3.0 is listed for download. The URL that Helen posted on another thread contained Transporter 2.0, and that seems to have the same problem that 3.0 has.

I'd like to get this working before my trial period times out, since there's no sense in buying software that I can't get to work.

Ralph Strauch

7. tyvol

tyvol Bit poster

Another Way...

Well, thank you for trying Helen, but in my humble opinion your instructions are unclear at best.

Your Point 1 indicates that we should use Transporter from a previous version of Parallels (2.5).

This is simple enough and can work if one deinstalls version 3 and then downloads version 2.5 and activates it temporarily to use Transporter to get XP versions of .vpc7 files. Deinstalling version 2.5 and reinstalling 3.0 is then required. On the other hand, this approach will not convert Windows 2000 .vpc7 files or perhaps others...

As for your Point 2 instructions (A.1 to A.6 using Terminal), they are ambiguous and they just don't work (and your Terminal commands are incorrect).

As Virtual PC holds its files in a folder called Virtual PC List (which can be found in Users/Username/Documents), all that is necessary is to see what files are in this Virtual PC List folder. In my case I had Windows XP Professional.vpc7, Windows 2000 Professional.vpc7 and BaseDisk.vhdp, Terminal is not needed to determine the full file name and directory.

What I did was convert my Virtual PC XP disk into Parallels using 2.5 Transporter.

I then deinstalled 2.5 and reinstalled Parallels 3.0.

I then located the Windows 2000 Professional.vpc7 file (in the Virtual PC List folder as indicated above), selected it and went to the File menu and selected Get Info. This told me the complete file/directory name and I deselected the "hide extension" button (probably not relevant, but I did it anyway). Ditto on the BaseDisk.vhdp file.

I then right clicked on the BaseDisk.vhdp file and in "contents" found BaseDrive.vhd.

I then opened Parallels 3.0 and selected Import from the File menu.

This launched Transporter 3.0 and at the virtual branch I chose the Single Virtual Disk option.

When asked for the file location/name to migrate from, I browsed until I had Users/Username/Documents/Virtual PC List/BaseDisk.vhdp.

I then added /BaseDrive.vhd to this directory string, and then clicked the migrate button.

Transporter took off and chugged along for the better part of an hour...

When Transporter had finished doing its thing, I now had the Windows 2000 Professional version of my Virtual PC operational in Parallels as well as XP version migrated via 2.5.

This means that I get to choose which one I want to open when I start Parallels...

Ray!

Anyway, hope this helps...

Cheers,

tyvol

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  8. dzurn

dzurn Bit poster

Shorter procedure

My Transporter efforts were with a Virtual PC 7 disk image. To use Transporter v. 3, I just did this:

1. Use Parallels Transporter and select single disk image.

2. It will ask for the location of the VHD file. Navigate to the VPC7 file with the "Choose" button. At the end of the string in the text box, add "/Disk1.vhdp/BaseDrive.vhd". Mine looked like this:
    /Users/Shared/Documents2/Virtual PC List/XP Pro.vpc7/Disk1.vhdp/BaseDrive.vhd

Then the migration can proceed. Don't need to down-grade to 2.5, it just needs this extra string.

Pity that the 3.0 transporter wasn't tested at, you know, transporting.

Darryl

9. p.mck@comcast.net

p.mck@comcast.net Bit poster

This did not work with 3.0. How can I find 3.1?

10. Mike@Parallels

Mike@Parallels Hunter

2p.mck@comcast.net

Please provide us with Transporter log files on vireports@parallels.com with subject 'Transporter Problems' to investigate this problem more detail?

Log files of Parallels Transporter and Parallels Transporter Agent locate on:

Mac: <home>/Library/Logs/Parallels/transporter_cl.log

Windows: %TEMP%\Parallels Transporter\transporter_xx.log
    for example,
    for Windows XP, 2000, 2003: C:\Documents and Settings\<Usr name>\Local Settings\Temp\Parallels Transporter\transporter_xx.log
    for Vista: C:\Users\<Usr name>\AppData\Local\Temp\Parallels Transporter\transporter_xx.log

Screenshot of Control Panel -> Computer management -> Disk management(on left side of the window) from transported system

11. p.mck@comcast.net

I have sent the log you requested. But, growing impatient with the HOURS I have spent trying to make this what should be a two-minute action perform as promised, I tried the 2.5 Transporter, which I found left on another Parallels for Mac computer which had been upgraded to V 3.0 (VM built from scratch) and dragged it to my new MacBook Pro. I then targeted the Microsoft Virtual PC 7 disk with the 3.0 Transporter Agent active with the 2.5 Transporter (without de-&-re-&-de-&-re-installing), and IT WORKED!!!! Needless to say, I was a little happier that I had bought the second copy of Parallels for my second Mac running XP. You guys have a great product with the usual lousy manuals and goofy tech support.

12. p.mck@comcast.net

Just don't stay satisfied with your tech support being goofy - it is REALLY needed out here.

13. mudshark1

mudshark1 Junior Member

I've been futzing with this problem for well over a couple hours: Transporter doesn't even recognize the VPC7 .vmc & .vhd images (that, btw, work just fine on my PC). Transporter craps out with: "During disk(s) migrating, an error has occurred" or "Unable to open virtual disk image."

So ... If 2.5 is the answer, where do I download a copy? (... or am I destined to carrying 2 laptops around?)