Ghost VM app reference

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by MikeFromMesa, Dec 25, 2017.

1. MikeFromMesa

MikeFromMesa Member

I installed Parallels 13 and Windows 8 not too long ago. I installed some Windows apps on the VM, updated it to Windows 8.1 and then, because of the Windows upgrade offer, I upgraded to Windows 10. After verifying that the Windows 10 VM was working properly and activating it I removed the Windows 8.1 VM from my system using the Parallels Desktop to do so. All continued working fine except that I still seem to have a ghost reference to one of the Windows 8.1 VM apps that I installed on the now-deleted VM.

That is, if I right-click on a file (in this case an image file) the resulting context menu contains a photo editor that I installed on the Windows 8.1 VM and I do not know how to get rid of this "ghost". There does not seem to be any Windows 8.1 folder on my system so I have no idea why it is there or how to remove it. I would appreciate any suggestions as it is annoying when I try to send an image to the Windows 10 pixel editor using the right-click. I keep seeing the Windows 8.1 reference.

2. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

You can find them in your home folder inside "Applications (Parallels)" folder. There should be "Windows 8.1 Applications" folder. Just delete it.

3. MikeFromMesa

MikeFromMesa Member

No. That is incorrect.

I checked that quite some time ago. There is no Windows 8.1 Applications folder. It was deleted when I used the Parallels desktop to remove the 8.1 VM, but I still have the reference and can not figure out how to remove it.

What makes it even odder is that a right-click shows the 8.1 reference for tiff files, but not for jpg or raw and I do not know why the reference shows up only for tiff files. I suspect that is a clue, but I do not know where the context menu comes from so I do not have enough information to follow the "clue".

4. alexg

Ok. Let's to do that another way. Just start any "Ghost" application by any manner. This application should appear in the Dock. Then, right click on it and select Options->Show in Finder. There will be that "Windows 8.1" applications folder.

5. MikeFromMesa

MikeFromMesa Member

No, that does not work either.

When I right-click on the tif file I get both Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 references, but when I try to start the Windows 8.1 reference I get an error message that tells me that what I am looking for does not exist. I looked in the dock, but there was no icon for the non-existing entry.

I had some trouble uploading the images to this forum so instead I placed them in dropbox and you can find them here and here.

6. alexg

Try to use Spotlight search to find the application.

7. MikeFromMesa

MikeFromMesa Member

Spotlight shows 2 hits. One is the Windows 10 hit, which is valid. The other is the Windows 8.1 hit that is not valid. Any attempt to start the 8.1 hit results in the same error message I took the screen shot of.

I can find no way in the Spotlight display, to find what folder it thinks it is pointing at.

8. alexg

Scroll down the results and click "Show all in Finder..."

Attached Files:

9. MikeFromMesa

MikeFromMesa Member

OK. That did it. Thank you.

It turned out to be an old alias located in the Applications folder. I had examined it before, but nowhere in the Get Info display box did it indicate that it was a Windows 8.1 alias since the paths for both Windows 8.1 and 10 were identical in their VMs. I thought it was a Windows 10 alias.

I have deleted it and the problem has gone away, so thank you again.