Too much space allocated

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ralfb1, Nov 7, 2017.

1. RalfB2

RalfB2 Bit poster

In advance I have tried to copy the pvm to a backup drive. Finder hives me after copying app 306 GB the Error - 36.
    I have started the Mac disc maintenance tool, it gave me no error.
    I have started in windows chkdsk, and after a VM restart it checks the disk. Also without any error.

What can I do?

2. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

ioErr = -36, /* I/O error*/ As usual it means there is hardware read/write sector error. Bad blocks in other words. The utilities you have used do not check physical sectors, they just check file system consistency. That is why you do not see any errors.

I think we shouldn't try to delete the snapshot until you successful copying VM to the another disk. If there will be such an error then deleting snapshot will fail.

3. RalfB2

RalfB2 Bit poster

Can recommend a tool to check this?

4. RalfB2

RalfB2 Bit poster

Ok,
    What I did now:
    I have the copy error since I decreased the partition with partition magic.
    I run a hardisk check with the apple tool, but there was no error.
    So I deleted the VM and went back to a backup. This VM has still an app 420 GB harddisk,
    but only 240 GB used.

i followed you post and entered
    prlctl snaphot-list {...}
    And get:
    The command is only in Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro or Business Edition

What can I do now?

5. ralfb1

ralfb1 Member

Here is the result:
    ralfs-iMac:~ ralfmbrinkmann$ prlctl list -a
    UUID STATUS IP_ADDR NAME
    {de913113-b51b-4605-831b-2f9e29ed9e21} stopped - Anderes Linux
    {8947e84b-f40e-43c4-b202-d69b2a668db5} invalid - Debian GNU Linux
    {f7cd609e-22aa-46ed-ac4c-85d7e7bf68db} invalid - Windows 10
    {05af89f7-68ca-4ef1-9db2-4301c58c8baa} stopped - Windows 7 Ultimate
    {7532a044-0d9c-468a-84f5-52f7789e6c4c} invalid - Windows XP
    ralfs-iMac:~ ralfmbrinkmann$ prlctl snapshot-list {05af89f7-68ca-4ef1-9db2-4301c58c8baa}
    PARENT_SNAPSHOT_ID SNAPSHOT_ID

I think there is no snapshot

Attached you can find the current HD layout

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  6. RalfB2

RalfB2 Bit poster

Ok, here is an update on the situation:
    Just to summarize, I have had a Windows 7 boot camp which I have imported into a VM.
    The problem is the tremendous size, it occupies at least 500 GB on the Mac HD. Taking a snapshot results in a full hard disk, and blocks the whole machine for several hours. And it takes again hours to fix it.
    The used size of the VM was app. 220 GB, so the aim was to „release" 200 GB for the Mac. And SSD is expensive, so why loose space in a VM.
    All the parallel features to release memory of a VM did not work.
    So I used partition magic to decrease the VM HD. That was working, but there was still no way to get the space to the Mac. The assumption, that there might be a snap shot somewhere, was not the case.
    And one big disadvantage after the treatment with partition magic was, that if I try to copy the VM on the Mac to a NAS or USB drive gives me error -36.
    So I went back to former backup and gave up the "partition magic treated VM". But there is still the problem of wasting expensive SSD space.
    In a next step I used the windows native administration tool to adjust the partition. I reduced it again by 200 GB.
    Windows said "successful ". But after a reboot I got the message, that the boot device is missing.
    I was able to access the VM Harddisk with the parallels mounter.
    In a next step I tried to copy the whole VM to my NAS. But I got again error-36.

I assume that there is a problem, as soon as I try to change the partition size in parallels.

There will be no more try in this case from my side - I give up. So I install a new Windows 7 VM and I will reinstall all the applications I have had. And exactly this was it, what I wanted to avoid by using parallels. Too bad.

7. JulsS

JulsS Member

I had a similar problem on a macOS High Sierra guest OS. Doing a Get Info on the guest OS hard drive showed 15GB used. When I did a Get Info on the same VM from the host OS, it showed 26GB of disk space used. The Reclaim Disk Space command displayed the "no space to free up" dialog and I do not have any any snapshots on that volume. After I started and restarted the VM and checked the drive space from inside the VM a couple of times, the reclaim disk space suddenly recognized that there was 7GB that could be freed up. Now my VM file is back to a more reasonable 19GB of storage used on the host.

The host is running macOS High Sierra. Both the host and guest OS are using APFS disks.