How to remove Applications and Applications (Parallels) folders from user folder on Mac?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by RichardF8, Dec 28, 2017.

1. RichardF8

RichardF8 Bit poster

I've been a user of Parallels for many years now and I think it's great! But there are a few annoyances I really wish I could fix. One of them is that every time I open my Windows 10 VM these two folders show up in my User folder on my iMac. I see they both contain the same, single subfolder "Windows 10 Applications" and both contain the exact same shortcuts in that folder. Why are there two of them? And how can I get rid of these? At least one? I know I can turn off "Share Windows applications with Mac" but this also turns off the ability to use Coherence Mode for some odd reason.

Thanks,
    Richard

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

3. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

RichardF8, You can't remove those folders without disabling "Share Windows applications with Mac". If no Mac representations for Windows applications then no Coherence, no Dock icons for Windows applications, no CMD+Tab for Windows applications and no file associations.

4. RichardF8

RichardF8 Bit poster

Thanks guys.

Arun@Parallels: Thanks for the link. I read through the article and it doesn't have any information specific to my issue. That said, the instructions for removing the folders from Launchpad only work temporarily. When you restart the VM they get recreated. This is either a software or documentation bug and should be fixed.

AlexG: Thanks for your reply. Yes, I suspected that, and it is unfortunate. It says "Parallels Developers" under your name so maybe you can answer... Why is it that both of these folders need to persist (they have the same exact contents)? And why do they need to be in my User folder? Cluttering the root of the User folder and especially with duplicative folders/files/shortcuts, from a customer perspective, is very undesirable. Is there a method for customers to request a DCR?

5. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

They are not the same. The first one just an application and the second one the folder. Unfortunately we are living not in the perfect world and we should take care about macOS behavior. To make file association work as well as Dock icons we need put the applications somewhere. Also, there is Launchpad, which doesn't have any API. That is why we there is such a scheme.

6. DwightG

DwightG Junior Member

Hi AlexG, an old reply but I have the same issue.
    I' pretty sure you read the original question worng.
    It was "How to remove Applications and Applications (Parallels) folders............", or the long version;
    "How to remove Applications folder and Applications (Parallels) folder...........".
    We know the applications are there, we just don't want those two folders appearing in our user folders. To take things further there are lots of folders, applications and executables in the Windows operating environment that DON'T appear in our home folder. What that tells me is that the Parallels software is written with an association that makes those other applications and their folders appear.
    That and the fact that Windows DirectX 11 support in only available in the Pro package which is subscription is not clear. I've complained about this before and no change has been made on the website. You buy it, find out that it's not available and then have to refund the purchase.
    The table located here, (https://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/), illustrates that. No mention of DirectX 11.

7. SeanR6

SeanR6 Bit poster

Hello, I found this post and the linked blog article about removing shortcuts.
    https://kb.parallels.com/112798
    I'm following these instructions to remove shortcuts from the "Windows 10 Applications" folder in my dock and can confirm the same. When you delete them, they go away, but when the virtual machine starts again, they get recreated.
    I would love to see these removals "stick".
    Thanks very much

8. JamesD16

JamesD16 Bit poster