How to change default email client to Outlook for Mac.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by AleksanderC, Jan 25, 2016.

1. AleksanderC

AleksanderC Bit poster

Hi,
    I want to change my default email client to newly purchased Outlook for Mac.
    But what ever I do, I can't send email clicking on link or from other software.
    I enter the Parallels VM (all Windows VMs) configuration, and changed email client to "open on Mac". After this changed the settings in Mac Mail to proper value.
    But after a few seconds I opened the mail properties, and again this is "Parallels Desktop.app".
    The final efect is when I click email link, the "Parallels Desktop control center" appears on the screen not the "Outlook new message window".
    My configuration is Macbook with El Captain & Parallels Desktop 10 with 3 VM (Win 7, Win XP, Ubuntu). With all updates.
    Any clue?

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello Aleksander,
    Please follow the steps below to configure Shared Internet Applications Tool:
    Open virtual machine window (Do not click Start).
    Open virtual machine configuration > switch to Options tab > Applications.
    Set Web Pages, Email to desired values.
    For deeper configuration use More Applications button.

3. AleksanderC

AleksanderC Bit poster

Hi,
    It's solved now.
    [...]
    Open virtual machine window (Do not click Start).
    Open virtual machine configuration > switch to Options tab > Applications.
    Set Web Pages, Email to desired values.

[...]
    Yes I did it several times with different setting ("Open on Mac", "Use default").
    I also stopped the Parallels, and started it again, without any positive effect.
    Finally, only helped restart the computer.

Anyway thanks for try.
    Alex

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Great! Aleksander! Feel free to reach out anytime. We are here to help. Thanks!

5. AegisI

AegisI Member

Hello Everyone
    Step :1 Open virtual machine window
    Step :2 Configuration > switch to Options tab > Applications.
    Step :3 Set Web Pages, Email to desired values.
    Step :4 Configuration use More Applications button.

6. AleksanderC

AleksanderC Bit poster

Step 0: Close all virtual machines
    Step 5: Restart computer
    Step 6: If you use email on host system, start "Mai"l open "Preferences - General" and choose requested email client.

Without steps 0 & 5 - the other steps may not work. This is my experience.

7. TylerC3

TylerC3 Bit poster

You can try the beta version of Airmail for free [ https://www.cleverfiles.com/help/best-mac-email-client.html ]. If you like it, you can pick up the regular version off the App Store. I've been using this for a bit now and generally like the UI, but periodically it has one annoying problem in that it claims there are pending operations when I try to quit it. I've never seen this in any other email client I've used.
    Otherwise, I can recommend GyazMail. It's more of a traditional email client but works very well and though the developer seemed to be a bit slow at keeping it updated at one point, it was recently updated for Yosemite compatibility.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018