Can't remove virtual machine

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Tom_Hesselman, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Tom_Hesselman

Tom_Hesselman Junior Member

Parallels Desktop 12, one Windows 10 VM working fine.

I inadvertently started a VM by double clicking a PVM file from a backup hard drive. It now shows up in the Control Center and a window like it's trying to start. I right click it in Control Center and click remove. it tells me I don't have permission to remove the virtual machine. I can't stop it, it doesn't have a PVM file anywhere (well, other than the now disconnected external HD!!)

How do I "shut it down" and how do I remove it from Control Center?

There is no more Parallels email support, only Twitter or this forum?

2. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hello @Tom_Hesselman ,
    Please stop the running the virtual machine and then try to remove it from the control center.

3. Tom_Hesselman

I can't STOP it, it isn't running!! There is no PVM file for it. I can't stop it or start it. It just shows up in Control Center and there WAS a small window showing the VM, but I hid that. Even if I unhide the window, I can't close it any way I can think of. So, can't stop it, can't start it, can't close it, can't remove it from Control Center. I even deleted the PVM file on the removable hard drive, plugged it back in, nothing works.

I guess it doesn't matter, there's no PVM file, so hence, no virtual machine. I've hidden its stuck window so it isn't showing anywhere. It only shows in Control Center with a PLAY button, but clicking it does nothing, and like I've said, right clicking it and picking REMOVE gets me a message that I don't have permission to remove it.

4. Hi, you can try to right click on VM in Control Center -> choose show in finder -> then right click on the file -> choose "Get info" and change the permissions.
    If it's possible, of course.

5. Tom_Hesselman

When I right click it, there's a small box with Remove in it, nothing else. And when I click Remove it tells me I don't have permission, that's it.

There MUST be a way to remove this, but it doesn't seem to be causing any issues.

6. Tom_Hesselman

2016-10-20_07-05-27.jpg
    This is what it looks like, right clicking only gets Remove and clicking Remove gets me the window telling me I don't have permission to remove it.

7. DavidW28

DavidW28 Junior Member

Hi, did you remove it eventually? I have the same issue. No PVM file, the remove option is not visible, can't throw it away. Can't right click on it...

8. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro