Extreme Slow down since installing 5160

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Anagram, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Anagram

Anagram Bit poster

I installed the new build of Parallels 3.0 and since then my computer has slowed to a crawl. It takes a full 10 minutes to boot up the VM and then it continues to be extremely slow for the rest of the day. It takes 4 minutes to open an excel file and 2 minutes after clicking on "new" in Outlook until I can type a name in the "to" box. Everything functioned fine before the update. What could be slowing this down so much. It has turned my MacBook into a boat anchor and I'm definitely not happy with it. Since installing the available space on my 80gig drive is down from 15GB to 7GB. Very curious.

I have already ordered a memory upgrade to 2GB for the computer but I'm curious as to why a new and better upgrade is making my computer behave like a commodore 64.
    I'm working on a MacBook 2,1
    1 GB Memory
    2Ghz
    80 gig hardrive

Any thoughts?
    Anagram

2. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

3. Ilana

Ilana Bit poster

That's my problem too

Does one have to completely uninstall 5160 before downgrading or can we just install overtop?

Thanks,
    ILANA

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Completely un-install, i.e.:
    1. Un-install Parallels Tools
    2. Use the Un-installer that comes with Parallels Build 5160.

5. Ilana

Ilana Bit poster

And when I do that, what happens to WIndows and any programs I have installed?

6. dale.gjc

dale.gjc Bit poster

I did this more than once, and my Windows VM was not touched. The first time, I thought maybe I had made some mistake, so I repeated the process. Windows was still OK.

Dale

7. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Unless you actually delete your .hdd file, the un-installer leaves your Windows data intact.

8. fso

fso Member

Parallels, can you fix this performance issue as matter of priority. I am struggling under the degraded performance on my production machine.