Windows application not available for running from Mac

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by strells, Feb 7, 2018.

1. strells

strells Product Expert

I've installed Notepad++ in a Windows 7 VM. For some reason, this application does not appear in the Windows 7 Applications folder in the Dock or on any Mac right-click menus to select to use it to open a file. I have the VM set up so all Windows apps are shared with the Mac. I've never seen this happen with an app before. Any ideas how to make Notepad++ available from the Mac side?

2. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @strells, that's weird indeed. Can you please re-enable 'Share Windows applications with Mac' feature in VM config while the virtual machine is running: disable it, wait for a minute until Parallels Desktop removes the folder from Dock, then enable the feature back. After enabling the feature, Parallels Tools will scan Windows registry for installed applications and create new stubs at ~/Applications (Parallels)/VM_name Applications/ - the same list should be visible in Dock folder.
    If there's no Notepad++ app yet, please check if you installed a portable version of this app (option 'Don't use %APPDATA%). If yes - please reinstall Notepad++

3. strells

strells Product Expert

It's still not working. I also tried uninstalling the 32-bit version I had and installing the 64-bit version, verifying that I was not installing the portable version. No luck.

4. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

So all other Windows apps are in the list but not Notepad++? Can you please install any other app to Windows VM and check if it appears in Applications folder in the Dock? Just to localize the issue.