Printer Dialog 'Converting Postscript File'

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by nickb2, Nov 25, 2015.

1. nickb2

nickb2 Bit poster

Hello, just upgraded from v10 to v11. When printing i now get this additional dialog 'Converting postscript file' everytime i print a document. It never used to do this under v10. I have turned off sync printers in the config. Any ideas how to remove this unwanted and unneeded extra dialog?

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello Nick,
    There are two possible ways you can try:
    A. Go to Virtual Machine > Configure > Hardware > Print and disable the printers sync.
    B. Set up printing via Apple Bonjour: http://kb.parallels.com/en/4990
    C. Try to print
    A. Go to Virtual Machine > Configure > Hardware > Print and disable the printers sync.
    B. Physically connect your printer to your Mac via USB
    C. When Parallels Desktop asks where you want to use this device, select to use it in the Virtual Machine
    D. Install printer's native drivers
    E. Try to print
    Thanks,

3. Brian Love

Brian Love Bit poster

Not sure if this solved Nicks problem, but it did not solve mine. I'm still having issues. I don't have the option to connect direct, so option 1 was what I tried.

4. nickb2

nickb2 Bit poster

no it didnt solve my issue. i got SO frustrated and wasted in excess of 18 working hours trying to resolve it. In the end i re-installed a time machine backup and have gone back to version 10. Total waste of time upgrading and will be seeking a refund. Cant understand why something so simple should be so complicated to solve. Im in the midst of my busiest period of the year and do not have time to retry this now. My system is working PERFECTLY under v10 and always has done.
    I will never install v11. I will never upgrade again. Im glad someone else (sorry Brian Love) has the exact same issue as i now know its not my fault and i will seek a refund.

5. nickb2

nickb2 Bit poster

Has this issue been addressed in version 12 ? Im still on V10 as per my post previously i gave up on v11 and the lack of response from Parallels reprensentatives.

6. JimS9

JimS9 Bit poster

I am using version 13 and neither one worked for me. I have not received any good advice from Parallels support as yet.

7. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @JimS9, Have you tried it in the latest build of Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac? We have released a new update Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac Update 2 Hotfix 1(13.2.0-43213) and this update addresses this issue. To check for updates, click on the Parallels Desktop menu on Mac menu bar and select Check for Updates: http://kb.parallels.com/124262

8. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Nick, the dialog appears when you print any document to Mac printer. It uses PostScript to convert the job. Printing can take time that is why Parallels Desktop shows the dialog. There is no option to disable this dialog. You can disable printing at all but it is not an option I think. What the problem with this dialog? Could you explain more detailed.

Attached Files:

9. EdgemontF

EdgemontF Member

Hi Alex - I'm also having this issue on a new Mac running High Sierra and Parallels 13.2.0-43213

Windows documents print, but they force you to go through yet another dialog when doing so. Example: printing from Excel, you "Print" in Excel and instead of it printing directly to the printer as it used to in Parallels 9 & 10, it now opens the Mac printer dialog that you have to click. With Quickbooks, you have to "Print" then, another dialog "Ok", then another Mac print dialog.

This extra Mac printer dialog did not appear before the upgrade. The Parallels documents used to just print directly to the printer as if you were printing directly from Windows (which really you are in theory). Now its forcing you through yet a second print dialog box as if you are printing from the Mac.

Hope this helps explain what is happening. I have not tried the Bonjour stuff above, as I am loathe to add extra stuff to my new computer if I don't need to and others here are saying it didn't solve anything. I have the exact same settings on my other Mac running Parallels 9 and it prints directly to the printer from Parallels without Bonjour installed and without an extra Mac Print dialog box.

If you can tell me that with Parallels 13 that the Bonjour install is required and the will work, then I will.

Thanks!

10. EdgemontF

EdgemontF Member

I just found the solution - YAY! No Bonjour! Just go to:

Open VM configuration > Hardware > Shared printer and uncheck "show page setup options before printing" to resolve the issue.

11. whyard

whyard Bit poster

After updating to Parallels 13 I found that my printer had ceased to display the "Converting to Post Script" dialog box that is the subject of this thread. Regardless of the software I was using, I could no longer get my printer (Epson XP-432) to print out more than one copy of any document, no matter how many copies I asked for. I went into VM Configuration>Hardware>Shared printer as described by EdgemontF and I could see that the "Show page set up options before printing" box was not checked.
    I checked it, went into Word, and lo and behold, I found that I could once more print multiple copies of documents. Having the Post Script dialog box is a minor nuisance compared with not being able to print off multiple copies.
    It is just sad that Parallels did not see this consequence when they issue version 13.

12. EdgemontF

EdgemontF Member

Wow - thanks for the heads up! I will not then update my Parallels as I sure as heck don't want the constant PS dialog but I also want to be able to print more than one copy once in a while. This bug should be reported to Parallels....