how to "mount" additional internal ntfs hdd ?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by PhilippR1, Dec 17, 2017.

1. PhilippR1

PhilippR1 Bit poster

Hi there,

I'm in the trial phase and slowly getting used to parallels :)
    What I'm not able to do is to "mount" my additional internal ntfs (only data) hdd in parallels desktop windows environment.
    Current setup is as follows:

1 hdd with Mac OS High Sierra
    1 hdd with ntfs - using paragon ntfs to read / write

The ntfs hdd does not show up in windows. I tried it mounted and unmounted in mac and also deactivated paragon ntfs.
    What is the correct procedure to get it to work ?

2. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello PhilippR1. Is this a Fusion drive?

3. PhilippR1

PhilippR1 Bit poster

No. It's an normal hdd on the spare sata port. It was part of my old Windows Build.

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @PhilippR1, in this case, please try connecting the NTFS hard disk to Windows virtual machine directly and keep us posted the results.

5. PhilippR1

PhilippR1 Bit poster

Okay...How exactley do I do that ?

6. Garvorious

Garvorious Bit poster

I'm also stuck on this issue.
    I can "see" the other hard drives I have mounted on my mac, but as a network only (and I cannot write to them which doesn't help)
    I remember it used to be easy on P12, where all you had to do was press "+" in hardware and add a second hard disk. Now that option is gone.

7. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

PhilippR1, why do not use Shared Folders for this?

8. PhilippR1

PhilippR1 Bit poster

Shared folders only seem like a workaround to me. It should be possible to map the physical drives as physical drives in Windows - Right ? (With the possibility to read/Write/partition)

According to Garvorius this worked in P12

9. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Unfortunately, it worked due to a bug in Bootcamp detection in PD12. We did not support this feature officially.

10. ViS

ViS Junior Member

What??? It also worket in Parallels 10 and Parallels 11. Now I have bought Parallels 13 and can not add a second SSD as boot camp HDD? I need this feature to work.

11. ViS

ViS Junior Member

I just installed Parallels 12 for a test. With Parallels 12 I can add the second SSD without problems. I want my money back for the Parallels 13!!!

12. ViS

ViS Junior Member

Why would Parallels describe this "bug" as function in the Parallels Desktop 13 User's Guide?? (http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v13/docs/en_US/Parallels Desktop User's Guide.pdf)
    Page 160:
    6 If you selected any device except for a hard disk, the corresponding device with a typical configuration is added at once and ready for use.
    If you selected a hard disk, you should specify some parameters:
    • The hard disk type: a new image file or an existing one. Select Boot Camp if you want to add an existing Boot Camp partition as a hard disk to your virtual machine.
    • The hard disk location. Provide the path on your Mac to the existing image file or the path and name for the new image file. By default, Parallels Desktop offers to save the new image file in the virtual machine PVM bundle.

Page 162:
    Boot Camp Partitions
    With Parallels Desktop, you can choose how to use your Boot Camp Windows XP (or later) operating system: to boot in it natively (via Boot Camp) or in a virtual machine (via Parallels Desktop). A Boot Camp Windows partition can be used as a bootable disk or as a data disk in Parallels virtual machines.
    ----
    I expect this feature to work again with the next update. This feature has always been described and was not a bug!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018