Kernel Panics is beta6

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Apr 29, 2006.

1. peterk

peterk Bit poster

Instant restart in beta 6 on MBP

I am experiencing instant restarts on my MacBook Pro from time to time when running Parallels with the following loaded in the VM:

- Windows Server 2003 SP1
    - Visual Studio 2005
    - An ASP.NET 2.0 website loaded in IIS
    - A Shared folder

There is no advance warning and nothing in the logs. The machine just restarts abruptly. I can not see a pattern in what is causing the reboot. I can be editing files or just browsing.

My MPB 2 GHz has 2 Gigs of RAM and I have adjusted available VM memory to 612 Mb. Send me an email if you need more information.

2. snak-pak

snak-pak Member

nasty new *hard* panic in beta6

System: MacBook Pro 2.0 Ghz with all updates. Parallels beta6. Virtual machine given 256Mb ram, USB 2.0 storage device (an external USB hard drive) is mounted. Booting the VM off two floppies... first floppy works fine, then I change the image to the second floppy, which mounts and works fine, and type A:\GHOST.

When starting GHOST, the machine crashes *HARD*, no kernel panic, and no kernel panic log either in the System Profiler! Just like a power failureThe MacBook instantly powers down and reboots, losing all my data in unsaved documents in the OS X environment. First time I've ever seen this happen, not even a kernel panic. Not just the VM goes but the whole MacBook... ugh.

So it looks like restoring a Symantec GHOST image is absolutely not possible... GHOST causes the VM and the MacBook to blast its brains in. This is disappointing. I don't know if I'll ever be able to migrate Windows from another laptop to inside a virtual machine. If there is any other way to do this, let me know. I'm not trying this again, it seems dangerous.

3. peterk

peterk Bit poster

In reply to my previous post above:

Yesterday I tried working without a network connection. During this time I did not suffer any abrupt reboots. Working with the network connection brings down the machine every 4th hour or so. Can it be something in the Parallels network driver?

My Parallels beta 6 installation was upgraded from 4 to 5 to 6. Is is possible to do a clean re-install in some way?

4. guilbos

guilbos Bit poster

Windows 2000 resetted automatically with Palm synchro

While I was installing a software inside win2k/parallels full screen I connected my Palm TX and tried to synchro with Mac OSX and the win2k session switched to a lower resolution (vga?) and the win2k resetted. At reboot it asked for disk scans which I accepted and then a blue screen happened. I restarted and then Win2k was stable as before.
    I never had to restart my mac adn win2k is back on track without any special treatment
    It seems that both win2k and the mac os tried to take control of the palm
    Config:
    Mac mini dual core
    512k ram (I'm upgrading to 2 gig this weekend)
    Parallels running from internal hd running win2k on 2 virtual partitions (1 fat32, 1 ntfs) external firewire hd
    Parallels trial version beta 6 (I bought it but haven't upgraded yet)
    Keep up the great work guys

Strange: Parallels is now usingIntel V-tx (what did I do?)