OS X Image Failed

Discussion in 'Parallels Mac Management for Microsoft SCCM' started by StephenN1, Feb 15, 2018.

1. StephenN1

StephenN1 Bit poster

Dear All,
    I was wondering if anyone can shed any light to where are problem may be. We have just completed an upgrade to ScCM to version 1710 - all our windows client deployments are working fine however after re-installing Parallels v6 into SCCM we are unable to image any of our macs across subsets. If we place a mac in the same subnet as our SCCM server it builds; take this out of the same subnet it does not. We are seeing from the logs that it cannot find the image file "TsExecutor error Step 'Apply OS X Image' failed (cannot find image)" but we know the relevant ports 8760/8761 are communicating. Does anyone know what this explicit message means and whether any one has any ideas of what is needed to resolve or has seen this before?

Your help would be appreciated.

Regards
    Steve

2. StephenN1

StephenN1 Bit poster

Some further info

/PrlCommonUtils:749:307/ Process '/usr/sbin/diskutil' exited with (0:0)
    02-15 11:36:32.948 I [ApplyOS] /TsExecutor:749:307/ Target disk: '/dev/disk0s2'
    02-15 11:36:32.948
    I /TsProcessors:749:307/ Searching macOS image
    02-15 11:36:32.969 I /TsProcessors:749:307/ Listening on local port 60420
    02-15 11:36:42.439 D /TsExecutor:749:307/ Step 'Apply OS X Image' failed (Cannot find image)
    02-15 11:36:42.439 D /TsExecutor:749:307/ Child step 'Apply OS X Image' failed
    02-15 11:36:42.439 D /TsExecutor:749:307/ Progress: 22%
    02-15 11:36:42.439 D /TsExecutor:749:307/ Group 'Mac Student Deployment' failed
    02-15 11:36:42.440 I /Std:749:307/ Exiting state 'ExecutingSteps'
    02-15 11:36:42.441 I /TsProcessors:749:307/ Uninstalling authorization plugin...
    02-15 11:36:42.441 I /TsProcessors:749:307/ Authorization plugin uninstalled successfully
    02-15 11:36:42.441 I /Std:749:307/ Entering state 'Finished'

3. DonD1

DonD1 Bit poster

Hi,
    I have the same errors in my log and its a fresh install of PMM 7.0.2. The only difference is that we are using USB boot instead of the network boot. The logs never reference the DP that is hosting the Netboot service/image. Support has been baffled for the last 3 weeks...

KyleK2 likes this.
  4. KyleK2

KyleK2 Bit poster

Was there ever a resolution for this? I am running into the same issue while using USB boot on 7.0.3.1. I've confirmed in the pma_netboot_service.log that the image file was successfully added, the Task Sequence kicks off perfectly fine, but fails immediately on the Apply OS X Image step with the "Cannot find image" error.

DonD1 likes this.
  5. DonD1

DonD1 Bit poster

No resolution as of yet-Support has had me do the following:
    1. Recreate a new image using the PMMOSDBUILDER
    2. Recreate the share on the source directory (I had a \\<location>\$ in my source location, and support thought that the $ could be the issue)--created a share with no special characters and no spaces
    3. Place the Test Mac in the same subnet as the server
    4. we checked the WDS settings and compared to their working lab environment (pretty much matches)
    Support is pointing to port 67/68 not being open, but I am a little skeptic as those are historically used for DHCP forwarding for PXE and since I am not using DHCP, I am ASSUMING that it is not needed for USB imaging. I am a little frustrated with parallels, as I was told prior to the purchase, that there was no other additional infrastructure needed to stand up Mac imaging (we didn't want to use PXE), and they told me that it was not necessary, but when I started having issues, support stated that this is required....

Have you created a ticket with support yet?

6. KyleK2

KyleK2 Bit poster

I have not created a ticket yet. My last experience with support wasn't ideal, so I'm trying to exhaust all other options first. After doing some digging, it looks like the Apply OS X Image step uses UDP for the image transfer. I couldn't find anything in the manual about this, but I came across this KB article: https://kb.parallels.com/123785 The article doesn't explicitly say it applies to PMM7, but I've confirmed I can set that variable to change the port range used.
    Currently in our environment UDP ports in the dynamic range would be blocked from accessing the SCCM servers, so I've submitted a firewall request to get them open. It might take a week or two for the request to get processed, and if that doesn't work I'll be putting in a ticket.

7. KyleK2

KyleK2 Bit poster

As an update, I did end up putting a ticket it. They told me basically the same thing as you, we have to set up an IP helper even if we're using a USB drive. From what I was told, at the "Apply OS X Image" step, the machine sends out a broadcast looking for the image on the NetBoot server. That's probably true, but it seems absurd. What's the point of having USB boot if you have to set up everything for NetBoot anyway?

FlorinA likes this.
  8. FlorinA

FlorinA Bit poster

The USB boot is advertised as a new and unique feature in the Marketing area but it seems that we need indeed to set up NetBoot and add the IP Helper and firewall ports opened. There are some inconsistencies between the Sales and DevTeam. No level 3 support for PMM, just the manual and site KBs.

DonD1 likes this.
  9. DonD1

DonD1 Bit poster

Kyle,
    Did you guys finally get that up and going with the IP Helper?