having trouble compressing or compacting, please help

Discussion in 'Parallels Compressor' started by wldojnr, Sep 24, 2007.

1. wldojnr

wldojnr Bit poster

I've been trying to compact or compress my Parallels XP machine with no luck at all. I've checked some threads, but don't think I've found my specifics. Here's the particulars:
    1. I did have snapshots, but I deleted them all.
    2. I do not believe I have Undo disks enabled (they are incompatible with Snapshots, right?).
    3. Whenever I try to run compressor from within the Guest OS (XP) or try to compact the disk from the Edit Virtual Machine->Hard Disk 1 I get an error message like this (this one is from an attempt to compact):
    "Process of compacting of the virtual hard disk /Users/waldojnr/Documents/Parallels/Microsoft Windows XP Summer 07/winxp.hdd was abnormally terminated due to the unrecoverable error."

I'm about out of ideas, but really want to be able to do this (my virtual machine is around 22GB, although I'm only using 9GB of space.

Thanks for any help or suggestions,

Waldojnr

2. superpea

superpea Bit poster

PARALLELS! Please help us!!!

This is like the fifth thread on this, with no comments from you guys...

ANYTHING!

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

-Scott

3. wldojnr

wldojnr Bit poster

:)

Thanks for the emotional support. I do think that this is a serious issue in the sense that I really want to reclaim this space (particularly before it gets much worse).

If anyone at all has had success, or has a suggestion as to what is wrong or a work-around, I'd be grateful.

Best,

Wjnr

4. lucaseve

lucaseve Member

Hi everybody,

I have a similar problem:
    When I try to run compressor to optimize my disk image package the application says I can't because I have plain disks and/or snapshots but that is not true at all... I have two disks (C: and E:) set to reach a max size of 80 GB and half full only.
    Windows version is the latest XP.
    Parallels version is 3.0 build 5160.
    Any help to solve the matter is appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Luca Severini

5. redone

redone Bit poster

Can't compact or compress, either

As an earlier poster said, for the love of whatever higher power you recognize, fix this!

I'm in the same boat. Have a virtual disk that Parallels claims is "only" 95 gigs, but it 104 gigs on my mac drive. Inside the virtual machine, the tools claim there are no drives to compress, from the mac side, compact says that I have snapshots or undo on, but I've used snapshot manager to delete the one snapshot there was, and undo is *not* on.

What the hell? This is taking over my Mac, I'm down to 5 gigs left on a 160 drive. I have 30+ gigs of unused space in the VM, I *need* this space back!!!!!

Parallels, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been so happy with this product up to this point, now I'm growing very disillusioned.