Retina display + External HD monitor resolution wrong using all options

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JoeM10, Feb 7, 2018.

1. biggordo

biggordo Bit poster

Just updated macOC to 10.13.3 and the problems vanished ! Working well in Coherence mode using "best for retina display mode" Many thanks for all your support!

Dmitry@Parallels likes this.
  2. JedrzejO

JedrzejO Member

I am right now having the problem with the proposed settings exactly like JoeM10 had it:
    VM config > Options > Full Screen > Advanced > Scale to fit screen: Keep ratio doesn't stop the screens from being set back to the default resolution every time I load the VM.

Previously it was working fine, but after I worked once on internal display only then I am always getting the resolution of 2560x1600 on my external Full HD display on startup. I've tried reinstalling Parallels Tools to no avail.

3. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @JedrzejO, can you please send us a tech report right after screen is set back to default? Send it via 'Help' menu > Send Technical Data...
    Please post the report ID here.

4. JedrzejO

JedrzejO Member

Thank you! Report ID: 290190195

And as described in the report:
    Normally I use parallels on internal display and external display. If I use parallels on internal display only then if during next use I am using the external display again, the resolution for this externak screen will not be remembered, I have to set it up on every VM restart.

After some time this problem normally goes away, but it is very annoying for a long time.

5. ChristopherD6

ChristopherD6 Bit poster

I have had a similar issue the last 6-8 weeks. I have used parallels for 10 yrs or more using external monitors and had no problems. Now I have the issue where the minute I connect an external monitor my windows programs come to a slow crawl and/or freeze and become unusable. I have tried all kinds of options including completely wiping my hard drive and reinstalling Mac/parallels/windows and all programs. Same issue persists. I submitted a report 317819588.

6. Hi, does this issue appear only in full screen mode or you have the same behavior in windows mode too?
    Also did you try the clean boot on the Windows side?

7. FernandoR5

FernandoR5 Bit poster

I am having the same issue I am on coherence, and using a 4K external monitor via a thunderbolt hub. the monitor is flickering colors, windows dragging is slugish and start menu, switching to windows are all sluggish. My setting is best for retina display

8. IanB6

IanB6 Bit poster

Well, this as a solution to my windows needs is turning out to be rubbish. iMac 2017 5k with Samsung 4k 28" monitor and I can't get any consistent setting at all on Parallels. I've tried all this hoop jumping and settings I can find. Got it sharp, won't resize, get it the right size, too blurry, shut it down, it makes up some new settings to apply on startup. It's impossible to guess what is going to happen next. The PC software is actually unusable big (but sharp) and sized properly (blurry). Would expect a fix by now but nothing seems to work in your 'fix' library. Looks like i've wasted my money and I'm going back to a clunky PC laptop which can chuck out ultra sharp stuff to a 4k

9. Did you reinstall Parallels Tools and check the issue?