Booting with a different video driver- how? RHEL 7.4 (otherwise rendered unbootable)

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by GjorgiV, Feb 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. GjorgiV

GjorgiV Member

Hi,
    So after a recent update (or should I say "update"), my RHEL 7 virtual guest is rendered unbootable, hangs either at "Started GNOME Display Manager" or "Started Spacewalk Daemon". A suggested solution was booting with a different video driver. But how? Do I add an extra boot argument? Is it up to Parallels to provide that different video driver? Is it a part of the installation image?
    I see why Linux installations at work are the "set-n-forget" type, I mean I've seen Linux failure before, with user not having to do anything to contribute to the failure, but this just reaffirmed what was my expirience with Linux. Forget about updates, don't even bother.

2. GjorgiV

GjorgiV Member

Best Answer
    It isn't looking good when asking a question/presenting a problem is followed by answering/solving by the same person that asked. Problem was solved by re-installing Parallels Tools, which had to be done on the command line, while the mount point of the Tools image was unknown/nonexistent.
    While VM is on, Actions > Reinstall Parallels Tools and then back to the unbootable VM, Ctrl+Fn+Alt+F3 to open a new terminal, log in as root and manually mount contents of Parallels Tools image so that one can run the Install script (mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom), cd into /mnt/cdrom, start the install script (./install) and answer prompts from there.
    I hope this helps some that may encounter the same problem. I still think it's dissapointing in this day and age that updates bring systems crashing down out of nowhere.

3. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

No problem, @GjorgiV, glad to hear that you've sorted this all out.