Static IP Networking Setup

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by NeilH1, Feb 20, 2018.

1. NeilH1

NeilH1 Bit poster

I am trying to use my Win7 virtual machine to connect to devices on a local, non internet network. I have to use a specific IP to do this. On the mac side, I have been successful with network configuration, but not on the Win7 side, even when setting the the IP4 config specifically for this static connection. "Shared" network set up does not seem to be working. Any suggestions?

2. Hi NeilH1. Shut down the virtual machine and open the virtual machine's configuration windows. Select Hardware -> Network and set the 'Source' to 'Default Adapter'. Start the virtual machine and refer this article to assign a static IP address to a virtual machine.

NeilH1 likes this.
  3. NeilH1

NeilH1 Bit poster

Thanks so much for the reply. Just a couple of questions. Selecting the "source" to "Default Adapter" seems to be a choice in "Bridged" mode as opposed to "Shared" is this correct. Second, should I select an Static IP number very similar, but not the same, to the static IP being used by the MacOS, to avoid the error message "there are two devices on the network with the same IP"?

4. Hi, 'Default Adapter' is an option under 'Bridged network mode'. Regarding the static IP, you need to assign an IP address within your router's IP range and please make sure that the same IP address is not assigned to any other device in your network to avoid IP conflicts.

NeilH1 likes this.
  5. NeilH1

NeilH1 Bit poster

Thanks so much, this solution is working now!

6. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

You can reach us anytime if you have questions regarding the same issue or different.

7. greggk

greggk Bit poster

i am considering taking out multi static ip broadband as a better solution to provide internet data than my current method of 4g mobile connections , could anyone explain how i would do this