Shared Networking very slow with Windows 10 guest

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ErikG, Nov 25, 2017.

1. ErikG

ErikG Bit poster

I'm on a MacBook Pro with High Sierra, and a Parallels instance running a clean Windows 10 Pro instance of whatever the latest update is. The host OS is consistently getting ~70 Mbps up/down, which is the limit of my router. The Windows guest is lucky to get 1.5 Mbps. This has been true since the initial install of the guest OS; nothing has changed recently.

The only forum and help topics I've found are related to bridged networking and they all suggest using shared networking; I am and have been using shared networking.

Where can I start troubleshooting this issue?

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @ErikG, could you please go to Help menu of Parallels Desktop application and send us the technical data report with a detailed log message via Send Technical Data... menu item? Then, post the number here.

3. ErikG

ErikG Bit poster

The report ID is 229869056

4. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Thanks for the Report ID. Please shut down Windows, switch the virtual machine to Bridged networking (for test purposes), start Windows up again and check if there's any difference this time. Let us know the results.

5. ErikG

ErikG Bit poster

There doesn't seem to be any difference; an internet speed test using shared & bridged on the guest returned about 3.2 Mbps. That compares to about 80 Mbps on the host. I resent the technical data with bridged networking; not sure if that's useful, but that report ID is 229902113.

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @ErikG, please disable "Large send Offload" to fix the slow internet access in Windows virtual machine:
    To disable, go to Start->Control Panel->Device Manager->Network Adapters-> Intel PRO/1000 MT, right-click then select Properties. On the Advance tab, find property Large Send Offload (IPv4) and change its value to Disabled then click OK."

7. ErikG

ErikG Bit poster

I've done so and restarted the guest; it seems to have made no difference.

8. StephenT3

StephenT3 Bit poster

I recently experienced the exact same problem, fast OSX host but 3mbps or less Windows 10 VM. No fixes helped and I was preparing to wipe and reinstall my Windows10. I decided to install a fresh new Windows 10 - without deleting my existing Windows 10 (hey, why not?). The first thing I tried in the new VM was the Edge browser and a speed test - resulting in similar speed as the OSX host. After the test I closed the new Win 10 and fired up my old VM and was quite surprised to find that my existing Win 10 was back to full speed network throughput.

So try installing a new Win10 VM and maybe you'll be lucky as I was.
    Steve

9. ErikG

ErikG Bit poster

As crazy as your solution is, I figured I'd give it a shot. My shiny new Win10 VM has the network throughput I'd expect, but no luck with the original fixing itself. Guess I'll try to find a setting that's different between the two of them.

10. ChazG

ChazG Bit poster

I did the same and still no luck on my original VM. Anyone have additional ideas to troubleshoot this further?

11. ChazG

ChazG Bit poster

I believe I fixed mine! try adding a network conditioner of wifi, then test your connection mine jumped up to 40mbps then I removed the conditional and everything is back to normal

12. Nicolas Fletcher

Nicolas Fletcher Bit poster

I did solve this. Following any of Parallels Support suggestions proved fruitless (but not really a surprise - a great product, but not a great or customer-focussed company).

Anyway, as ChazG suggested, I turned on the Network conditioner with a custom profile with both inbound and outbound set to: Unlimited, 0%, and 0 ms. And low and behold, I got my speed back. With an approx 100 mbs up and down, I previously got around 5 mbs on my VM (while testing on Mac OS I got 100+). Once I had an unlimited Network Conditioner I got 100 mbs+ on my Windows 10 Enterprise VM.

The logic defies me... if the conditioner is off, I should get top speeds, but instead I need to turn it on. Still, it works, so I will stop complaining and say I am happy. I did try turning it off again (as per ChazG's suggestion), but it just went back down to 5 mbs again.

TroyW likes this.
  13. DanielQ1

DanielQ1 Bit poster

I too have been experiencing extremely slow network speeds on my LAN (.3Mbs). I enabled the network conditioner and now am getting 100X that speed. Bizarre, but I am extremely happy that my time wont be wasted as before.

14. Scanbuoy

Scanbuoy Bit poster

I have the same issue -- turn network conditioner off and (in some) VM(s) the network speed is very low. Not in all VMs though! I use the same workaround -- keep the network conditioner enabled but set it to unlimited speed + no dropouts.

15. DanielQ1

DanielQ1 Bit poster

I initially used the work-around of enabling the network conditioner. After some further poking around, the root cause seems to have been the setting I had chosen in Options, Optimization, where I had the setting one notch to the left of "No Limit" on the slider. After restoring that setting to "No Limit," I get normal network speeds with the network conditioner disabled.

Andrew_Backer and 3ddy like this.
  16. DaniT

DaniT Bit poster

So after months of frustrations reinstalling recovering and multiple (indeed useless) support calls with Parallels the Network conditioner partly solved my Issue.
    I am now getting 100Mbps+ (still not close to the 500Mbps I get on my Mac) which is better than the +/-7 Kbps (yes I'm not joking) I was getting on my virtual machine.

I am absolutely flabbergasted no one from Parallels is reading )or reacting) to this, that no fix is been made available and that the Parallels support team are not aware of this.
    I have been a Parallels user since the early beta's, but I doubt I will renew my subscription once it expires, unless Parallels solve this and compensate us for this truly gigantic F@@#Up which has cost me so much time and frustration and thus money!!

3ddy likes this.
  17. ChancellorR

ChancellorR Bit poster

I can't believe this is even an issue, I had the same issue. The only way I get a usable network speed is to enable Network Conditioner and set it to unlimited. Thank you all for the posts! Hope they get it fixed soon.

18. StephenE3

StephenE3 Bit poster

Hey guys

Thanks for the forum and definitely concerns re the Parallels support. It is definitely subpar.

I tried all of these above. Though unfortunately none of it worked. What worked for me, was uninstalling Parallels Tools on the VM. Then restarting. The full instructions are here: http://blog.parallels.com/2016/04/12/network-troubleshooting-parallels/

This worked for me, but of course it wasn't as smooth sailing as the blog makes out. My VM won't download the Parallels Tools to re-install... (Let's put aside the Parallels Tools is not the same as the Parallels Toolbox, which for dummies like me was not obvious. So annoying. Anyway here is how to do that: https://kb.parallels.com/au/115835

The whole point of this software is to make my life easier. This has been such a debacle...

Anyway best of luck people and thanks again to contributors above.

Cheers,

19. StephenE3

StephenE3 Bit poster

Just an update to this. I am back where I started.... FARK!!!!! Anyone else had any luck?
    Thanks

20. ThomasW20

ThomasW20 Bit poster

I am having similar strange networking problems in Windows 10 parallels VM on macOS High Sierra. However in my case, it almost seems like a DNS issue, since I am actually able to get > 400Mbps down during my testing. Yet when I try to go to any website, images and dynamic things are extremely slow to load up.