Parallels tools installation: permission denied in Raspberry Pi Desktop

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by RogerM7, Dec 12, 2017.

1. RogerM7

RogerM7 Bit poster

I have just installed the Raspberry Pi Desktop in Parallels Desktop 13 running on OSX. It runs in very low resolution and there doesn't seem to be any way of changing the resolution within the Pi Desktop.

I'm trying to install Parallels Tools, hoping this will provide a way of setting resolution. The tools icon says to run "sudo ./install" in the /media/cdrom0 folder.
    I've navigated to this folder but when I try this I get a message "Permission denied".
    I've tried to do "sudo su" first but still get the message. Is there some other way of installing the tools or setting the resolution?
    Thanks.

2. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Parallels Tools can't be installed to Raspberry Pi Desktop. It is unsupported configuration.

3. FrancescoA2

FrancescoA2 Bit poster

RaspberryPi Desktop is based on Debian, can this distribution please be supported? Thanks!

4. DouglasG

DouglasG Bit poster

Running Parallels Desktop 13 and installed latest Raspberry PI Desktop - Stretch (form of Debian Linux).
    After dismounting and remounting Parallels Tools .iso with the -o exec option as stated when I used Install Parallel Tools menu item I was finally able to cd to the /media/cdrom0 device and had permission to execute "sudo ./install" script.
    Now I get an error that makes no sense to me: "./install: line 35: /media/cdrom0/installer/installer.x86_64: No such file or directory".
    Of course I checked the contents of the ...installer directory and the file noted as missing is indeed there in the correct place with exec permission.
    This makes no sense to me.

Attached Files:

5. RayG2

RayG2 Bit poster

This whole thread is of interest to me as I am also failing to install the Parallels Tools for this OS and so am stuck with an 800 by 600 screen resolution on a 1920 by 1200 monitor - not very useful.

6. VladC

VladC Bit poster

I did get past this by using
    sudo mount -o exec /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom
    instead of /media/cdrom. However after reboot Xorg wouldn't load due to incorrect driver architecture:
    (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/prlvideo_drv.so: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/prlvideo_drv.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
    :(

7. FongK

FongK Bit poster

I'm not sure if this is helpful, I solved the "./install: line 35: /media/cdrom0/installer/installer.x86_64: No such file or directory" problem by updating the Raspbian OS first.
    The code to update the OS can be found at: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/raspbian/updating.md
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

However, I advise not running the ./install yet as it seems to break the graphic driver. I had to create snapshots before running the ./install to narrow it down as the culprit for the problem.

The problem of installing the Parallel Tools was that you will not be able to boot back to your desktop mode. Instead, you
    [​IMG]

I had updated the "sources.list" code which was said to update the driver. However, I'm unable to get pass the "800x600" resolution.

8. BrianB17

BrianB17 Bit poster

I got this more or less working. Here is what I did and why. Your mileage may vary. This is with Parallels Desktop 13 Home edition. There could easily be problems here that corrupt your data, so use the following information with caution at your own risk.
    The base problem is that Raspbian installs with a 64bit kernel and 32bit programs. When the Parallels tools are installing, they expect the kernel and programs to match. The parallel tools CD prl-tools-lin.iso image supports either 32 or 64 bit linux, but not a mix like the Raspbian image.
    To get things going, I created a "uname" patch to report that the system is 32bits instead of 64bits. I also needed to rename one of the tarballs in the tools cd.

1) Copy the CD image to a convenient directory on the virtual hard drive (say ~/prl)
    2) Make everything executable and writeable
    cd prl
    chmod -R 777 .

3) Create uname patch in !/bin/uname
    #/bin/bash
    if [ "$1" = "-m" ]
    then
    echo "i686"
    else
    /bin/uname $*
    fi

4) Make it executable
    chmod a+x ~/bin/uname

5) replace one of the 64bit zip files with the 32bit version
    cd tools
    mv prltools.x64.tar.gz prltools.x64.tar.gz.orig
    cp prltools.tar.gz prltools.tar.gz.orig
    cp prltools.tar.gz prltools.x64.tar.gz
    cd ..

6) Run the install
    sudo su
    PATH=/home/pi/bin:$PATH
    ./install

7) Disable the uname patch
    chmod a-x ~/bin/uname

8) I have not tested every feature of the tools, but I did find one problem right away -- the Chromium browser just shows a blue box instead of browser content. You can work around this by either disabling 3D acceleration in the virtual machine configuration or adding a parameter to the Chromium launcher icon.
    /usr/bin/chromium %U --disable-gpu-compositing

Hope this helps!

9. KellyK4

KellyK4 Bit poster

@BrianB17 steps still work in 2022 thank you. parallels whats goin on here.. patch this mess

10. SethPowsner

SethPowsner Bit poster

Can install from terminal into Raspberry Pi PC Desktop from Parallels 18. Mac Folder to Raspberry Pi works. Clip board sharing does not seem to work. Haven't tried anything else. Only just started working after an sudo apt-get update and then disp-upgrade. Debian-version 11.6 Linux Raspberry 5.10.0-21-amd64
    Hope someone has some ideas about making clipboard share.