iMac Pro- is Parallels Desktop Pro is compatible

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by HarryA2, Jan 30, 2018.

1. HarryA2

HarryA2 Bit poster

Hello,
    I'm using parallels desktop for 11 years and I'd never had problems even with the version 2.5
    recently I bought this iMac Pro: processor Intel Xeon W, Processor Speed: 3 GHz, Total Number of Cores: 10, Memory: 64 GB,
    Radeon Pro Vega 64: 16 Gb video ram.
    With this monster configuration my computer is working like an 386 computer that I had 26 year ago.
    The system is very unstable, I've already lost my 1st installed VM-Win10 pro 32bit. Now I have win10 pro-64 bit suggested by an 2nd level tech support from Parallels. Almost every day I get an error message: "Your computer had a critical graphic error and the program which caused that will be closed".I sent many many reports to Parallels support team.

My question is: Does parallels will develop an update for this hardware (I think the version13 Pro is just not adapted to my processor etc...) or I should find a solution be myself or maybe Parallels tech support will suggest me an alternative-I would appreciate a lot.
    I would like to know if there are other people on this forum with the same problem.

Thank you in advance

regards

Harry

2. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Guys, Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac is fully supported on iMac Pro starting from version 13.3.0 and newer. See release notices here - http://kb.parallels.com/124262.

3. JasonW10

JasonW10 Bit poster

I am about to but the same iMac pro configuration as you (10-core 3ghz, 128gb ram, Vega 64) with the most important and used app on it being Parallels to run Windows 10. I am investing $11,000 hoping it can be like two computers in one with all those system resources. I'm glad I saw your issues and wonder if I should hold off on buying the iMac pro since it may have issues with Parallels.
    Can you give more detail on what iMac Pro did to your vm installations?

4. HarryA2

HarryA2 Bit poster

Jason, I didn't have any problems with the installation. The problems start after. I use Excel-frequently freezes, I have to wait or open another spreadsheet in order to unblock the frozen sheet. I work with construction models using Autodesk viewer-impossible to generate the image-I get a black screen. The same viewer works perfectly on my old iMac 27" with Parallels v12. I'm using a lot Bluebeam Revu-kind of Adobe Acrobat. Doesn't work smoothly, the drawings are generated very slowly. For the moment wait, dont buy this computer, I invested $11600 -wasted money. I dont know if I install boot camp what will be the result-many people are complaining.
    If u need some additional information-I'm here:).

5. Nemensi

Nemensi Member

No problems with iMac Pro (8-core) and Parallels 12.01 so far.

6. HarryA2

HarryA2 Bit poster

you'r lucky

7. JeffD5

JeffD5 Bit poster

Should I be concerned about this? I have 14 core coming and will need to start using IMMEDIATELY.

8. HarryA2

HarryA2 Bit poster

I dont know, but my system works like an 386 computer. Excel stops from time to time and starts working after 4-5 minutes. My windows is Win10 Pro 64 bit. before that I had installed 32 bit- It's crashed and I lost everything.#-or 4 times per week I get the error message.:"critical graphic error, the program that caused it will be closed".

And there is window to send the report. I sent at least 10 -none answer none take action.

9. JeffD5

JeffD5 Bit poster

Hmmm....OK....Hopefully they can figure it out. Maybe try contacting another way (I am sure you did).

10. HarryA2

HarryA2 Bit poster

hi Jeff,
    I suppose there will be a fix for this specific hardware. Could u please tell me how your iMac Pro is performing when all is set up.
    I made a new VM with win pro 32 bit and tried open a model with Auto desk viewer- but I got just a flickering black screen.
    The result is same with the win pro 64 bit

11. JeffD5

JeffD5 Bit poster

I do not have mine yet, waiting on 14 core, still in Order Processing.

12. GiulioB

GiulioB Bit poster

Hi, if it may help here is the config on an iMac Pro of ours:

Host: iMacPro 8-core XeonW @3,2GHz, 64Gb DDR4, 1Tb SSD, Radeon ProVega56 8Gb, MacOS HighSierra v. 10.13.2 (17C2120)
    Guest: 6 processors w/ adaptive hypervisor (Parallels), 8Gb RAM, 2Gb graphic memory, DirectX10 for 3D-acceleration and vertical sync on, disk capacity 256Gb, Windows 10Pro 64bit 10.0 (16299)
    Parallels edition: Desktop 13 for Mac Business Edition v. 13.2.0 (43213)
    VM resolution is set to "Scaled"
    YMMV and that's just my two cents. BTW it appears You're deploying MacOS as the host and Windows10 as a guest.

We had some issues with MS Office 2013 , but switching from "Best for external display" (or "...Retina") to "Scaled" and feeding the VM 2Gb instead of 1Gb seems it solved them.

13. HarryA2

HarryA2 Bit poster

Thank you Giulio
    I'll try rite now

14. HarryA2

HarryA2 Bit poster

Re hi Giulio
    I tried you settings, No difference. I'm using an Autodesk Viewer and it's not able to display the construction model. The screen flicker, trying to show something but it's not able. My version of PD is 13 Pro Win10 Pro 64 . On my old imac27" I have PD12 - working well

Thank for your time
    Harry

GiulioB likes this.
  15. HarryA2

HarryA2 Bit poster

Hi Jeff
    have you received your iMac Pro. How is working. I'll be happy if you give some details.

16. GiulioB

GiulioB Bit poster

NP Harry, sorry it didn't help!

17. DamianM2

DamianM2 Bit poster

10 core imac pro, 64GB ram ... constant hangs running Visual Studio debugger in Windows 10 64 bit VM. Tried 4 cores and two cores allocated to the VM.

18. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello HarryA2, we have received your response over e-mail, as quoted below. Please post your responses directly in this thread henceforth (i.e., if you are seeing this message in your mailbox right now, then do not respond to this e-mail - just visit the thread you created in our forums and post your response there).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Jeff

Have u set up your new iMac Pro. Does it perform well. Please send me a mail with your opinion on it.

Regards

Harry
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  19. PhillipL2

PhillipL2 Bit poster

What's up Parallels? or any friends... Will Parallels run on iMac Pro or not? I love Parallels and there is a base model at Microcenter for $3999 - $1000 OFF right now but if Parallels doesn't work then I feel screwed - what gives? Is it Apple? I am frustrated that MacBook Pro doesn't offer 32 to 64 GB Ram

20. AlbertB

AlbertB Bit poster

I would love to renew my subscription, but holding off until we get an answer. I have a new base model iMac Pro and love it. Was hoping to have two machines in one, again. I let my subscription lapse on my iMac, know I was getting the Pro and now that seems like a good move.

21. jms.lwly

jms.lwly Bit poster

I've got Parallels Pro running on my iMac Pro (10-core) and it works like a dream. Running various CAD and rendering apps in Windows, whilst running Photoshop/Lightroom and my usual office apps (Mail client, iTunes, Safari etc) - honestly, it works even better than I'd expected.

The additional hardware resource that Parallels Pro offers really makes the most of the iMac Pro's hardware for sure.