[Licensing] Use one license on several personal computers

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by RyanM8, May 31, 2017.

?

Easy to use facility to switch license between computer systems

1. Yes, great. need one

162 vote(s)
    94.2%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. RyanM8

RyanM8 Bit poster

I have an annual subscription. It would be awesome if we could be licensed for two computers. I use a laptop and my desktop for business, and it's a real pain to have to keep unlicensing one system, log into the website to grab the license and register the other computer every time I use it - rinse and repeat. Please consider adding dual licensing -- even Adobe does this, and Microsoft gives you 5. It seems pretty standard practice these days where two computers is pretty common.

MannyD2, ylluminate, GuyK2 and 120 others like this.
  2. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello @RyanM8. So what you are talking about is making a single Parallels license usable on upto 2 computers?

3. RyanM8

RyanM8 Bit poster

Yeah, one license up to two computers. I found I could add another license, but that about doubles the annual price. I only use this software for cross-browser testing, it would just be a cool feature to have for those of us that aren't "power users", but utilize two computers. :)

4. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @RyanM8 , we understand but as of now one license can be used only for one mac. Please click here to know about Parallels Desktop for Mac licensing policy.

5. RyanM8

RyanM8 Bit poster

Yup, I know -- which is why I posted this. It's a feature I'm requesting. :)

6. Hemnath@Parallels

Understood. All feature requests are reviewed by the management. Meantime, you might want to consider the 2-license pack discount.

7. Hanterdro

Hanterdro Bit poster

8. Hemnath@Parallels

Hi @Hanterdro. Thanks for your post. Feature requests will be implemented depending on several factors including business feasibility.

Online Cockfighting likes this.
  9. Hanterdro

Hanterdro Bit poster

I see the dollars in your eyes...
    But you should also consider that you have competitors:
    • VM Ware Fusion has the same quality level as Parallels Desktop and allows multiple installations.
    • And Virtual Box is free (and shit)
    I suppose that more people would by Parallels Desktop if you would become competitive in this point.

10. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @Hanterdro , thank you for you time and patience for letting us know about this.

Online Cockfighting likes this.
  11. DavidK18

DavidK18 Bit poster

I agree with all the comments in here. Now that you have the annual subscription model, we are committing to the product. It's time for Parallels to make a contribution back to the customers. Show the community that you're more than a money-grubbing monolithic corporation. Personally, I think we should be able to install Parallels on 2 computers (any platform) with the home edition, and on 5 computers (any platform) with the pro edition. I have the pro edition and It's the most I've ever paid for an application. I will definitely cancel it if I don't start feeling the love.

12. Hemnath@Parallels

Hello @DavidK18. Your comment will be forwarded to our management.

13. KorkyPlunger

KorkyPlunger Hunter

I think @DavidK18 said it well. I'm a software developer, and happy to pay for the Pro edition on a subscription basis, but I need to use the product at home when I work at home and in the office when I'm in the office. Currently I need to buy two licenses, which gets expensive.

I think allowing 2 machines on a single license is very fair and would help your power users. I would even be fine with restricting it so that it could only be running (non-paused/suspended) on one of those 2 machines at any given time.

Excelmate, consumerb and IKR like this.
  14. RonaldJ1

RonaldJ1 Bit poster

Using 1 Parallels license on various computer system is possible. For example, at work I use my laptop and at home my desktop. Previously I was allowed to use my license at both machine under the restriction that I do no use the license simultaneously.

Now I need to transfer the license per switch by entering the username, password and license key. Very user unfriendly. I would prefer to stay locked in and one press on a button to transfer my license forth and back. All information is already stored at my parallels account, so this wanted feature is easy to implement from my point of few.

ParallelsU542, PatrickH67 and JorgeP4 like this.
  15. BAT77

BAT77 Junior Member

Yes, I agree with this post! With the basic one-license personal plan, VM Fusion allows personal users to install the software on any computer they own. If Parallels doesn't change its policy soon, I'll be migrating over to VM Fusion.

16. AlbertB

AlbertB Bit poster

I also agree with this thread. I have my iMac Pro with Parallels installed on it and would like to have it on my laptop when I travel.
    For the occasionally use on my laptop, getting another subscription is not cost effective. I have multiple software subscriptions and this is the only one that limits me to a single computer. Right now I am forced to use Boot Camp on my laptop, which is annoying to have to reboot each time to the windows partition, but it is a free option.

ParallelsU542 and consumerb like this.
  17. DenizO

DenizO Bit poster

I think your license should be bind to the user, not the computer. Because I need to switch from my imac to macbook occasionally and getting a second license is not worth it. I have Jetbrains toolbox subscription (includes 16 different IDEs) and I spent nearly most of my time using them, and I'm paying just 150$ to it and I can use it on any number of computers I want as long as it is me using it. Please bind license to user, not the computer.

hux, MikeG11 and consumerb like this.
  18. DavidJ24

DavidJ24 Bit poster

I am right now purchasing VMware Fusion instead of a 2nd copy of Parallels because of what I've learned in this exact thread. I need to use a VM on my Desktop when I'm in my office and on my laptop when I'm on the road. Even Adobe allows this type of usage!

MikeG11 and IKR like this.
  19. AlbertB

AlbertB Bit poster

I really don't think our posts here have any effect on what the company does.
    I would like to think so, but unless more than just a few people complain, they have no reason to change their business model.
    They also don't know how many sales/subscriptions they miss out on, based on this business model.
    I don't see how allowing two installs would hurt their bottom line, but then, I don't know the entire picture either.

umery, ParallelsU542 and cam217 like this.
  20. ReginaD

ReginaD Bit poster

Great idea, I think this feature is really required! This would be so natural! have the same issue, by the way, and would really appreciate it if the company listens. And the idea suggested by @KorkyPlunger seems fair enough.

Regards, Regina

consumerb likes this.