Windows update wants a bigger disk, Parallels config says delete snapshots first

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by PaulKorm, Mar 5, 2018.

1. PaulKorm

PaulKorm Member

Windows Update, after running 20 minutes doing who knows what, stops and says I need more disk space == 3 GB more. But when the machine is shut down Parallels config says I cannot expand the VM's hard drive because I have snapshots. I'm not willing to delete my safety net snapshots.

What to do?

2. JerryP1

JerryP1 Bit poster

Having same problem. Saying it's eating up almost 60GB+

3. Hi PaulKorm. We strongly recommend that you back up your virtual machine before increasing the hard disk space. Since you are taking a back up of the entire virtual machine, you can delete the snapshots and increase the hard disk space. Once the process is done, you can start the virtual machine and take a new snapshot for safety purpose.

4. PaulKorm

PaulKorm Member

I backed up the PVM. Deleted all the snapshots. Made the HDD larger in Configuration. Expanded my available C: drive space to 18 GB. Then, after 10 separate failures, I was finally able to upgrade to Windows 10 Creator edition and all current security patches. If this were a standalone Windows laptop, it would have been easy. Parallels gets in the way over and over, because of its lousy design and lack of transparency telling us what is taking up the space in our PVMs. Don't bother writing to Parallels Technical Support for help on any of this. You get obscure email replies that read like they came out of Google Translate in broken, incomprehensible English.

5. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We really understand your concern but in a standalone laptop there will be no snapshot feature and increasing hard disk is mostly like adding or changing hard drive completely. Snapshots are the saved states of the hard disk which needs to be deleted or merged before increasing the hard disk size else there is big chance the VM gets corrupted. It is one of the reason we request you to backup the VM in the first place but in a normal laptop if anything happens in the middle of disk partition everything might get lost. If you face any issues with Parallels Desktop, feel free to reach out to us.

6. ColinJ2

ColinJ2 Junior Member

How ? There is no "start a new thread" button

7. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

You can go to Forum Home page then select particular category and choose the main thread then select the option "Post New Thread."