Start up Parallels VM with a desktop alias?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JimG1, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Thank you for your patience, @edwardd20. Please navigate to Apple Icon -> System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy -> Accessibility and ensure that Parallels Desktop is both included in the list under 'Allow the apps below to control your computer' and is checked. Also, please open 'Parentals Controls' in System Preferences and ensure that parental controls are not enabled for your user account. Please let me know if these changes help.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  2. TravisC2

TravisC2 Bit poster

I'm not edwardd20, but I had the same problem when I upgraded to Parallels Desktop 13 (from a version prior to 12), and adding Parallels to the list of apps allowed to control my computer fixed the problem.

3. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

That's great! @TravisC2 Feel free to reach out anytime. We are here to help! Thanks!

4. Bachsau

Bachsau Junior Member

This is what I get when trying to start from an alias linked to the .app in my vm directory:
    vmerror.png.png
    Launching it from the parallels control panel is working fine.

5. Hemnath@Parallels

Hello Bachsau. Please remove the alias in question, create a new one and check for the issue with the new alias.

6. Bachsau

Bachsau Junior Member

I already tried that. Changed nothing.

7. Hemnath@Parallels

Just to be clear, is the alias for an application within the virtual machine or for the virtual machine itself?

8. Bachsau

Bachsau Junior Member

It points to the .app-package found inside the virtual machine package directory. That one, that gets highlighted in Finder when you right click the running virtual machine in the Dock, then choose "Show in Finder".

There aren't any links to the apllications inside at all, as I prefer to run my virtual machine in full screen and have disabled the application integration feature.

9. Hemnath@Parallels

Please share a screenshot of this ".app-package", just so we can be sure as to what exactly you're referring to.

10. Bachsau

Bachsau Junior Member

11. Hemnath@Parallels

Kindly create an alias for the virtual machine package itself (the file with the extension '.pvm'). Does this alias work?

12. Bachsau

Bachsau Junior Member

Clicking that results in the Parallels Control Panel beeing launched, but not in the actual VM beeing started.

13. Hemnath@Parallels

Alright. Please follow the steps I provided earlier in this thread, quoted below.
    After performing these steps, check whether the alias you created for the .pvm file works now.

14. Bachsau

Bachsau Junior Member

Already checked that. There's everything okay with these settings.

15. Hemnath@Parallels

Please reproduce this scenario...
    ....generate a Problem Report ID (refer to http://kb.parallels.com/9058 for assistance) when the issue occurs (very important) and reply with the report ID number. We'll then investigate.