Windows 10 extremely slow since upgrading to Desktop 13

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by DwightB, Mar 5, 2018.

1. DwightB

DwightB Bit poster

Since upgrading to Parallels Desktop 13, my Windows 10 virtual machine performance is much slower. Everything from starting up, long delays in getting the start menu (or search box) to extremely long wait times loading apps and sometimes just plain freezing for a few minutes while showing the circle chasing its tail cursor. Reading and writing to the hard drive also seems slower, though I cannot verify this.

This is on an iMac Retina 5K Late 2014 / 3TB Fusion Drive / 16GB Memory running El Capitan 10.11.6. The VM always has had 2 processors and 4GB of memory. However, performance was not an issue before upgrading to Desktop 13. BTW, upgrading to Sierra or High Sierra is not an option. I have a required app that won't run in versions newer than El Capitan.

Rebooting seems to fix the issue for a few minutes, but it does not take long for the performance to start slowing. Also, my Windows drive often is not available in OS X. Lastly, sometimes Windows settings screens can take several minutes to open, and occasionally wont open at all.

Any one have ideas what I can do to fix this?

2. JensO2

JensO2 Bit poster

I have two virtual machines on my MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3: Windows 10 and Windows 8.1. Both machines need very long time for (re-)starting and suspending since the last update to parallels 13.3.0. Does anybody have an the same issue and/ or information on how to solve it?

3. FloX

FloX Bit poster

Have you found a solution? I'm having almost identical problems, but I'm running Windows 7 (also have a program that won't work with newer version) and High Sierra on a late 2014 Macbook Pro with Retina Display. It's affecting my work because everything takes 5 times as long.

4. DwightB

DwightB Bit poster

So far, no solution. Sometimes it's so bad I cannot do any work. At other times it's barely tolerable. I keep restarting or shutting down/restarting but if it helps, it's only for a short while.

5. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @DwightB , please follow the steps suggested in the article and check if that helps.

6. DwightB

DwightB Bit poster

Arun, thanks for the reply.
    I've tried all of the steps, but to be honest, the only one that applies to my case is to verify no virus was introduced at the same time I upgraded.
    To reiterate:
    1. I was getting good performance and had no issues with settings nor with the start menu before I upgraded.
    2. I upgraded, and my performance went to crap, as well as settings sometimes slow or not opening and ditto start menu.
    There is no step three: Before I upgraded all was good. After, it wasn't. Nothing else happened in between. The really bad thing about this is that the upgrade promised tremendous performance improvement.

7. DavidE7

DavidE7 Member

same here, PD 12 was way faster...

This seems to have been an issue since PD 13 was released and team Parallels just seem to dodge the issue and suggest those standard try reboot, repair and such. that's not the issue here.

ZackG likes this.
  8. ZackG

ZackG Bit poster

I just bought Parallels 13 with Windows 10 and I am having the exact issues seen here.
    When I start from a suspended state, the app takes at least 20 minutes to open on otherwise fast machine. Also, it absolutely destroys my hard disk read/write including delays loading websites on my Mac because the cache can't be accessed.
    It's pretty unusable and I'm pretty pissed off to find out that people have been complaining about this for awhile now without anything from support other than a general KB article.

9. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @DwightB , for testing purposes, please try reinstalling Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac and check if that improves the performance.

10. DwightB

DwightB Bit poster

For some reason, I stopped getting emails from this thread right after posting my last message. Came here on a whim.

If possible, I'll downgrade the installation this weekend. But not sure that is the right thing to do. No telling what 13 might have changed that can affect performance even after downgrading. Shouldn't I completely uninstall 13 before proceeding?

11. DIEGOV1

DIEGOV1 Bit poster

I have been having the exact same issues and it is driving me insane. has anyone found anything that makes it better? Using Windows inside of PD13 is pretty much unusable for me right now!! Very upset I paid money for this upgrade!

12. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @DIEGOV1, have you installed any antivirus applications on Mac and Windows virtual machine? If so - please uninstall it and keep us posted the results.