Windows Server 2016 graphics glitches

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Dr Tone, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Junior Member

This has been annoying me for some time. Notice the missing U from the word Update and the top part of the W in the image below. It happens in other places like IE as well. I just installed the latest Parallels update 13.3 and issue still exists. My Windows 10 guest machines are fine, so this has to be related the Windows Server 2016 with GUI.

Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 1.17.53 PM.png

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  2. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Junior Member

Best Answer
    It seems that the latest High Sierra update has fixed the problem. Must have been the macOS Intel Drivers.

3. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @JeffF4, first of all please check if you're running the latest update of macOS (is it High Sierra? Then it should be 10.13.3). If you do, then please send us a a tech report the next time you see these glitches on the screen. Go to Help menu > Send Technical Data...
    Please post the report ID here.

4. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Junior Member

I'm on 10.13.3 supplemental. I see the glitches all the time in the Windows settings screens and IE.

Technical Info ID: 243026211

5. Dmitry@Parallels

Thanks! Can you please quit Duet Display on Mac (unload the driver using command sudo kextunload -b com.kairos.driver.DuetDisplay) , reboot the VM and let me know if that helps?

6. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Junior Member

No change. My Windows Server 2016 VM shows the graphics glitch and my Windows 10 VM is still fine.

New Report ID: 243034389

7. Dmitry@Parallels

Thanks, Jeff. Not so simple then.. Please tell me a bit more about these glitches:
    1. Are they "static" (happen at the same places) or random?
    2. Apart from settings and IE, are there other programs that experience these glitches?
    3. I see that you have another Windows 10 VM. Does the same happens there in Windows Settings?

8. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Junior Member

1.) They are pretty static, they happen in the the exact same spot in settings and the same spot on certain webpages in IE.
    2.) Not that I've noticed, they don't happen in Visual Studio 2017 in which I spend most of my time.
    3.) The Windows 10 VM is fine. No glitches.

One thing to note, when I see it in IE I can select the text that is garbled and unselect it and that will fix it. The same for settings, if I mouse over "Update & security" and then move the mouse away it will fix it.

9. Dmitry@Parallels

I see, thanks! Not sure that this is something related to video driver then, probably more to Windows Server. We will try to reproduce the same in our lab to investigate this further.

10. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Junior Member

If I turn off automatic graphics switching the problem goes away. So it might be video driver related. I would prefer to use the integrated graphics over discrete for battery life.

Upon further use with discrete graphics, the whole macOS experience becomes jiddery, not as smooth. Rather annoying, the graphics glitches in the VM are easier to put up with.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  11. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Junior Member

Ok, I was wrong about Windows 7. I've finally seen some glitches in it as well, don't spend enough time there.

Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 8.34.01 AM.png

12. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Junior Member

Best Answer
    It seems that the latest High Sierra update has fixed the problem. Must have been the macOS Intel Drivers.