Bootcamp To Parallels - Back to Bootcamp - Inaccessible Boot Device

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by RobertoM6, Mar 3, 2018.

1. RobertoM6

RobertoM6 Bit poster

So long story short, I created a bootcamp partition with windows 10. After the fact, I got parallels and simply used my bootcamp partition.
    From within parallels, I did update windows (one of the major updates). My parallels still opens my bootcamp windows just fine. However, if I try to restart and open the bootcamp partition natively, I get "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE" blue screen error and it restarts.

Can I not switch back and forth between parallels and bootcamp? Or would it simply be something wrong with my windows partition itself?

2. peec35

peec35 Bit poster

I have this same problem. Anything, Parallels?

3. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @RobertoM6 , might be due to some errors on native bootcamp, please try to repair the native bootcamp and check if that helps.

4. GregT3

GregT3 Bit poster

Were you ever able to resolve this? I am having the same issue.

5. Hi RobertoM6. Please make sure that you shut down the virtual machine properly by selecting Actions (from the Mac menu bar) -> Shut Down and then try to access the native BootCamp partition. If the virtual machine is in Paused/Suspended state, then you cannot access it from native BootCamp partition.

6. GregT3

GregT3 Bit poster

I am having this issue even if I shut down all the way from Parallels (rather than suspend).

7. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We won't suggest installing major Windows updates for Bootcamp through Parallels and you are facing the issue because of it. You can import Bootcamp VM then revert Windows to previous build and try to update Windows directly from the Bootcamp.

8. DIEGOV1

DIEGOV1 Bit poster

Am I the only one who is finding the help in these forums pretty damn hopeless? I am having the same error, which means now I can only use the Bootcamp partition from within PD... and now that I upgraded (paid upgrade, nonetheless) to PD13, performance is absolute crap. Might as well not have spent any money in the Win10 and the PD license, as it is close to useless right now! Can't use in PD due to performance, Can't use using Bootcamp because of this error.

PARALLELS - If I can't fix this issue, can I please get my money back and I will simply use VMWare?

9. galom

galom Bit poster

Same problem here, Any news?

10. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @galom, are you using Mojave as a Host OS? Are you getting an error saying "Installation cannot proceed with Boot Camp configured' If so- please refer to this article or contact Apple Support to get help on this!

11. galom

galom Bit poster

Hello Paul, No, windows 10 was install using bootcamp and it work fine running native, then i Install Paralles 13, witch works fine. The problem is that now it only works with paralles but no longer works using bootcamp. When i try to reboot the machine using Bootcamp it gets stoped in a loop not being able to access the partition.
    Thank you

g

12. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @galom, it might occur due to the incorrect Host permission. Can you please shut down Windows virtual machine properly, quit Parallels Desktop, reboot your Mac into Recovery mode, run First Aid, restart your Mac to check the native Windows Bootcamp.

13. ChristianS30

ChristianS30 Bit poster

Got it working and since I stumbled on this thread while investigating I will add my solution here.

Basically you need to update the boot camp drivers and got it working thanks to inspiration from this article:
    https://twocanoes.com/knowledge-bas..._device-error-after-restoring-winclone-image/

On you Mac, open Open Boot Camp Assistant. Select Action -> Download Windows support software from the menu and save the files.

Start the Windows Bootcamp VM from Parallels and copy the WindowsSupport folder to the Windows machine, e.g. to c:\WindowsSupport

Also, create a .cmd file in the windows root with the following command (adjust paths as necessary):
    dism /image:c:\ /add-driver /driver:c:\WindowsSupport\$WinPEDriver$ /recurse

Reboot into Windows. First time it will BSOD and second time you can select Advanced options and then open a command prompt.

Run the .cmd file from above (or enter the command directly) and it should output something similar to this:

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.17763.1

Image Version: 10.0.17763.379

Searching for driver packages to install...
    There was a problem opening the INF file. c:\windowssupport\$WinPEDriver$\IntelHDGraphics64\autorun.inf Error: 0xE0000100.
    Found 16 driver package(s) to install.
    Installing 1 of 16 - c:\windowssupport\$WinPEDriver$\AppleBluetoothBroadcom64\AppleBTBC.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
    Installing 2 of 16 - oem0.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
    Installing 3 of 16 - oem12.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
    Installing 4 of 16 - oem13.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
    Installing 5 of 16 - oem23.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
    Installing 6 of 16 - oem25.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
    Installing 7 of 16 - oem27.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
    Installing 8 of 16 - oem33.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
    Installing 9 of 16 - oem39.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
    Installing 10 of 16 - oem4.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
    Installing 11 of 16 - oem42.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
    Installing 12 of 16 - oem44.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
    Installing 13 of 16 - oem46.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
    Installing 14 of 16 - oem50.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
    Installing 15 of 16 - oem55.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
    Installing 16 of 16 - oem9.inf: The driver package was successfully installed.
    The operation completed successfully.

Done. Next time you should be able to boot directly into Windows.

At the moment I able to boot using BootCamp or the Parallels VM. But guess a future update could cause it to fail again, so it is probably best to leave the files on the Windows drive.

Hope this helps.

14. JamesW23

JamesW23 Bit poster

Thanks, ChristianS30. Your solution is a life saver!

DariusV likes this.
  15. DariusV

DariusV Bit poster

Thank you. I was being driven nuts by this.

16. MaximilianW2

MaximilianW2 Bit poster

Dear all, unfortunately I cannot follow the instructions because I'm not able to get into advanced options during windows boot procedure when i chose bootcamp partition. I did also try to use bootable USB stick with Win10 image. I was able to open cmd prompt but I'm not able to access my internal hdd. Only USB stick is available in the cmd prompt. Does anyone has a clue how to enter the advanced option menu in bootcamp windows in order to reinstall the bootcamp drivers?

17. Hello, are you starting your native Bootcamp or Bootcamp based VM?

18. MaximilianW2

MaximilianW2 Bit poster

It's the same as discussed in this thread here. I can boot it via Parallels VM without problems but if I do want to start with native Bootcamp, the error occurs and the machine restarts.

19. Did you try some of these options?

20. MaximilianW2

MaximilianW2 Bit poster

yes, all of them but none of them worked