Windows 10 and Parallels 12 - Extremely slow, unuseable

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by HarryS5, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Ronald Thompson

Ronald Thompson Junior Member

PD 13 still slow and almost unusable.

2. Ronald Thompson

Ronald Thompson Junior Member

Did a "reclaim disk space" of all the VM's that I have. Seemed to help some.

3. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @Ronald Thompson , please let us know if the issue still persists,so that we will check and help you out.

4. KimmyL

KimmyL Bit poster

Windows and all installed application are running very slow and laggy! It's near unusable! I have Parallels 13 on an iMac and I can't use my installed programs.

5. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @KimmyL , please follow the steps suggested in the article , so that we will check and help you out.

6. JoeH3

JoeH3 Bit poster

7. JohnY2

JohnY2 Bit poster

Pilling on. Been having the same problem and I am novice user running the latest version of parallel 13 update and MacOS 10.13.3

8. DavidE7

DavidE7 Member

Still same issues with updated PD13 and Win10.

Team Parallels,
    please help create a guide on how to get reasonable performance setup running a full-spec Macbook Pro or iMac.

(please no KB's or re-install parallels tools.. these are not the solutions)

9. NeilM4

NeilM4 Bit poster

It's depressing to find that the same problems persist in Parallels 13. Last year, after many years of running an old version of Parallels (with XP!), I was forced to upgrade in order to run the latest version of a windows application (i.e. the one app that forces me to use windows!). Everything used to run well on my Mac Pro (and I was able to use the hardware available). After "upgrading" to Parallels 12 and Windows 10, performance fell off a cliff. It's tough to quantify, but judging on startup times, it could be as bad as a 50 fold drop. The application is virtually unusable. The problem is compounded by Parallels now restricting memory and number of cores. I read the support pages and tweaked all the obvious settings. No improvement. The only change I have not made is upgrading my hardware with an SSD (I'm not inclined to do that as a speculative change). The bottom line is that I have completely lost confidence in Parallels and can't see wasting money on upgrading to version 13 as it sounds like these performance problems persist. Why has this become so hard? For years it was a good solution. I just want it to work and it doesn't seem like it does with later versions. I may give Fusion a shot, but I'm becoming inclined towards buying a dedicated Windows box, or seeing if I can run Windows under boot camp on my previous Mac Pro. I'm interested to hear what others are doing, since it doesn't seem like Parallels is offering concrete solutions. Obviously some people are getting acceptable performance; so why is it that some of us aren't?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    JanuszS and Marcin4 like this.
  10. FoxyG

FoxyG Bit poster

It dosn't boot up. It does it for a million times.

11. Hello, please share with us your Parallels Desktop and macOS version?