Restoring Windows Web app defaults

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by muffinface, Sep 25, 2007.

1. muffinface

muffinface Bit poster

I have been trying to restore the default applications in my Bootcamp installation, running independent of WM software. After I installed Parallels, my email and browser no longer detect that they are the system default. I have checked the registry values and it points to Shared Internet Applications. Any information into restoring this values or disabling SIA when I am not running Parallels would be appreciated.

2. kon_serg

kon_serg Bit poster

Hi!

- What guest OS you are use (XP or Vista)?
    - Are there any Shared Web Applications preferences that equal to 'Open in Mac OS X' (while you are work in Parallels)?
    - Is process sharedintapp.exe running while you are in Bootcamp?

Serg.

3. muffinface

muffinface Bit poster

I am running XP Home on a Macbook Pro. I have tried all three settings for shared web apps, to no avail. They are all currently set to open in Windows. The process sharedintapp.exe is running while in bootcamp. I hope that is enough information.

4. Gerry

Gerry Junior Member

I am having this exact same issue. I sent in a e-mail support case, and the person asked me to go to Set Program Access and Defaults, in the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel, and set Internet Explorer as the default Web Browser. This DID NOT affect the problem. I believe that sharedintapp.exe is OVERRIDING ANY of these actions.

WHY is sharedintapp.exe running in Boot Camp? This is a Parallels specific program, and should ONLY be allowed to run when in Parallels.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  5. Gerry

Gerry Junior Member

Something else in the Parallel Tools is causing this. It not shareintapp.exe. I finally "solved" the problem by uninstalling the parallel tools.

Parallels needs to take ALL of these issues (security and otherwise) seriously regarding Boot Camp. Thier product must NOT be allowed to interfere with the normal operation of Boot Camp or OS X, and not put either installation at risk.

Non-invasive functionality instead of invasive.

I for one will be putting Parallels on the shelf until these issues are addressed.

Too bad too, 'cause I got A LOT of use from version 2.0, which was fairly non-invasive.

6. Gerry

Gerry Junior Member

One word of Caution when Uninstalling Parallels tools. Make sure you let Parallels re-boot Boot Camp after uninstalling these tools, then shut it down. I didn't do this the first time, and it REALLY messed up the 3D graphics capability in Boot Camp (freaked me out!)

I ended up re-installing Parallel Tools, while running the Boot Camp installation in Parallels, uninstalling the tools, re-booting in Parallels, then closing down. That fixed my issue with 3D support when running Boot Camp natively.

7. muffinface

muffinface Bit poster

Thank you for the tip Gerry. I will miss using convergence mode, but this is more important.

8. andrea@paesano.org

andrea@paesano.org Bit poster

I'm getting an xp error when i start parallels and i cannot have my cd drive to start the disk to repair it any ideas? i have a pdf with the error message.

New to this forum,

Andrea

9. muffinface

muffinface Bit poster

I feel really stupid. There is a really easy solution to this. When installing parallel tools, do a custom install, excluding shared internet apps. Oh I did what you outlined Gerry, heeding your warning, but it still ended up corrupting my directx files, making it unrepairable, but was resolved by reinstalling parallel tools. This is a major issue, it shouldn't corrupt system files on removal.

10. Gerry

Gerry Junior Member

Thanks! I'll try re-installing Parallels Tools w/out Application Sharing support.

11. Gerry

Gerry Junior Member

OK, It looks like my problem may be solved. Installing Parallels Tools -> Custom -> and turning off Shared Applications did the trick. In Fact, there is a 2nd Option called "Shared Internet Applications" that I think was the culprit.

I might try turning on "Shared Applications" and leaving "Shared Internet Applications" off.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007