Video Memory Error

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by drgoodtymes, Jul 31, 2007.

1. jasonw

jasonw Member

I quite often start my VM among other apps and then wander away (while it all loads) to return to the dialog with the fans going crazy and my MBP is very warm to touch.

Does anyone have any workarounds for this other than downgrading Parallels?

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

What programs do you have on it? Or is the list too long? Anything that starts up with the system? Viri?

3. jasonw

jasonw Member

My main VM is XP SP2 and has IE7, Office 2007, Visual Studio 2003, Visual Studio 2005, SQL Server 2005 and a few other utilities such as WinRAR.

The problem appeared the day after I upgraded to #5160 from #5158. I will try downgrading to #5158 and will see if the problem persists. I will keep the forum posted.

4. Bruce Hymon

Bruce Hymon Bit poster

I have the same problem with the video memory error. I have the proper video RAM set. Everything works fine unless the system sits idle for several hours. Dismissing the error then allows the program to work normally.

I have the same error at 2 different locations (2 different computers) so I doubt it is an install issue.

As has been mentioned, the processor use increases, heating up the MacBook Pro. Processor use returns to normal when the error is dismissed.

5. jasonw

jasonw Member

This seems to be the key to reproducing the issue. I close Parallels nightly before my backup runs and start it up again in the morning. I have automated closing and opening of Parallels wit cron and a few shell/applescripts ("tell application Parallels to quit", "open /path/to/VM.pvs", etc). There's typically about 10 hours of inactivity where about 6 of those Parallels is closed.

The vast majority of the time (at least 90%) on #5160 I have had the dialog on my screen in the morning with the fans blaring. I did my first test with #5158 last night and no issues.

6. jasonw

jasonw Member

Another two days testing on #5158 and all is good. I guess I'll stay with #5158.

7. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

If not already stated, it's a Coherence issue. I get the error every morning while Mac sleeps. I have to change to Single Window and back to Coherence to clear the issue. Works fine until my system sleeps again. I have been able to repeate the cause and resolutions many times now.

8. jasonw

jasonw Member

This problem reproduces here in #5540.

9. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Dear all,

Thank you for your reports. I'm sending all the data listed here to Parallels QA team. It would be great if you could send me via PM such details as your Mac models, type of VM, guest OS, amount of RAM specified for the VM, monitors models and number of monitors you use.
    Video memory issue will be fixed in future updates.

Best regards,
    Xenos

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  10. jasonw

jasonw Member

Thanks. Of course now with #5540 I'm getting the BSOD on suspend/resume most of the time. The few times I haven't have been the Video Memory Error instead. I don't know if it's related or not.