after installing KB4093112, stop error 0xc000021a on boot Parallels 13.3.0 (43321)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by luckman212, Apr 18, 2018.

1. luckman212

luckman212 Bit poster

After my Win10 vm installed automatic update KB4093112 today and rebooted, I got stuck in a reboot loop (BSOD) with stop code 0xc000021a. Nothing fancy about my setup or the VM. After 2 failed boots, Windows automatically rolls back the update and is able to boot to the desktop. But after running updates again, the same BSOD occurs. I have updated Parallels (app) as well as Parallels Tools. I also tried manually downloading the update (.msu) from Microsoft Update Catalog (https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4093112)

Is this just a bad update from MS? Or some conflict that needs to be solved by Parallels?

2. luckman212

luckman212 Bit poster

No solution?

3. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @LukeH4, this error occurs when a user-mode subsystem, such as Winlogon or the Client Server Run-Time Subsystem (CSRSS), has been fatally compromised and security can no longer be guaranteed. In response, the operating system switches to kernel mode. Microsoft Windows cannot run without Winlogon or CSRSS. Therefore, this is one of the few cases where the failure of a user-mode service can shut down the system. This is pure Microsoft issue. You may revert the snapshot if you have already created or can you please send us a problem report collected right after the error and a splash screen (Help menu > Send Technical Data...)? This will help us significantly, please reply me back with the report ID number.

4. luckman212

luckman212 Bit poster

Thanks - For now I just rolled back to a snapshot and paused the updates so I could get back to work. I'm going to try tomorrow's "Spring/April/whatever" update and see if that works.

5. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @LukeH4, alright, feel free to reach out anytime and we are here to help!

6. luckman212

luckman212 Bit poster

I installed the April 2018 update and so far it's working fine. No bluescreens, and all updates are installed now. :D

7. Nice to know that all the latest Windows updates are installed successfully in the virtual machine. Please post again for any additional queries.

8. RaviG1

RaviG1 Bit poster

My windows 10 update has caused hardships. I am unable to access windows thru Parallels. I get no error messages. The screen is showing the windows logo and nothing happens. Any help from Parallels will be appreciated.