Bootcamp flexibility

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Linolil, May 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Linolil

Linolil Member

I just purchased a new Macbook Pro and need to install Windows on it.
    My primary use is Quicken, which I run under Coherence.
    However, I would like to be able to run some MMORPGs. Most of them have the unfortunate problem where the mouse controls don't really work under the parallels desktop. (It is a drivers issue that has been discussed in hundreds of posts over the year. You cannot easily control the vertical viewing angle with your mouse. You always find yourself "looking up the skirt" of your character.
    The answer to my question should be simple to find but isn't clearly address in any documentation that I can find.

If I install Win10 under boot camp, followed by installing Parallels using the boot camp partition;
    • Will Coherence work?
    • Will I be able to run Parallels off the boot camp partition without hurting the stand-alone installation?
    • Will I be able to run Win10 directly via boot camp without hurting the virtual installation?
    • What would be the biggest problem with this configuration?
    Thanks in advance.
    Linolil

2. Hi Linolil. Here is the answer to your queries.

1. Yes, you can use the Coherence mode for the virtual machine created using the BootCamp partition.
    2. Changes made in the BootCamp based virtual machine is directly stored in the BootCamp partition itself. Hence, if you login to native BootCamp partition, you can see the files and folders created from the virtual machine using Parallels Desktop.
    3. If you wish to have BootCamp partition and the virtual machine separately, you can refer this article to import the BootCamp partition into a Parallels Desktop virtual machine.
    4. You may encounter Windows and other program activation issues while using the BootCamp partition in Parallels Desktop. In that case, you can contact the program vendor to reset the activation key and activate in the virtual machine.

3. Linolil

Linolil Member

Thank you

4. You are welcome. Please post again for any additional queries.