Windows virtual machine frozen

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by StuartD1, May 7, 2018.

1. StuartD1

StuartD1 Junior Member

I have OSX high Sierra (10.13.4) and run win XP under parallels desktop 10 (edit: not 10, but PD 13.3.0).
    I'll concede that osx 10.13 did not represent an improvement in my workflow, but eventually your hand is forced and you have to upgrade to keep doing anything at all.
    I have noticed my VM now takes a looooong time to start generally. Currently, I have returned to my computer, after previously working on a job, to find that I can't access the VM.. I can see all the programs still open, but can't perform any operations in the VM (cursor = hourglass)..
    I can't therefore close the VM, so returned to osx, right clicked on the desktop icon in the dock and selected "quit". This makes the VM go away, but not close it, as upon restart you can see the VM in it's suspended state. Likewise by attacking it from "activity monitor" in osx, you can force quit, but it hasn't been quit, only suspended...
    Can anyone suggest how I can at least quit the VM....?

thanks...

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  2. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi StuartD1. Please resume the VM and stop it by navigating to Actions -> Stop in the virtual machine menu on the upper left. Hope this helps. Concerning the slow performance, please let us know the total RAM available on the Mac (Apple Icon -> About this Mac -> Overview).

3. StuartD1

StuartD1 Junior Member

Thanks, will go in later and look to perform that task..
    total RAM on the Mac is 16Gig...

4. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @StuartD1 , please follow the steps suggested in the article and let us know if that helps.

5. StuartD1

StuartD1 Junior Member

That seemed to get it, the wheels spun for a bit, for good measure, when I was returned with the "play" button on screen I shut the whole thing down and pulled the plug. Upon my return this morning everything is working...

thanks..

6. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hello StuartD1, We are glad to hear that the issue has been resolved,Please feel free to reach us any time for any queries regarding Parallels.