Windows via Parallels sandboxed on Mac?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RainerB1, May 27, 2018.

1. RainerB1

RainerB1 Bit poster

Hello,
    When I use Windows 10 under Parallels on my Mac, will all Windows apps (including Windows 10 itself) run sandboxed?
    I mean, will Paralles stop any attempts of Windows apps (or Windows 10 itself) to read or write outside the virtualization, in the macOS environment?
    Thank you.

2. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hello RainerB1, Parallels Desktop application having sharing feature so you can access Windows applications from Mac side also.

3. RainerB1

RainerB1 Bit poster

Hi AJ, thank you,

> you can access Windows applications from Mac side

That's want I want it for. :)
    But I want to be sure that my Mac doesn't get unsafe because of Windows.
    Hence my question. (It is no secret that Windows computers aren't so safe.)

4. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

The Mac will not get affected by any change because of Windows application and virtual machine. You are just using the application to open your Mac files and more Mac is well know for its security and it will not affect any virus.

5. RainerB

RainerB Member

Thank you. This is already good news.
    The last question is: Could any windows app (or Windows itself) spy outside of the virtualization,
    in other words: are all files on the macOS side safe from spying?

6. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

If sharing is enabled all your Mac files are visible on Windows side. If it is visible it can be accessed by Windows applications (including malware). Unfortunately, if you isolate Windows then application sharing will not work. You need to have an anti-malware on Windows side for better protection.

7. RainerB

RainerB Member

Thank you.
    Does this mean, if sharing is not wanted and disabled, it is secured that no Mac files outside the virtualization can be accessed by Windows or Windows apps?

8. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

If sharing is disabled then you cannot access Mac files from Windows applications, you cannot copy/paste between Mac and Windows. Once you isolate,the Windows and Mac will be separate.

9. RainerB

RainerB Member

Thank you! - 1 more question:
    If I disable sharing, would I be able to connect to another Mac running parallels in the LAN (for playing games with LAN multiplayer)?
    And if so, could this cause potential security risks for the Macs?

Thanks again!

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  10. RainerB

RainerB Member

I hope anyone can answer my last question... - Many thanks.

11. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Please shut Windows down, open the virtual machine configuration window, navigate to Hardware -> Network 1 and select 'Default Adapter' (under "Bridged Network:") for 'Source'. Close this window now and check if you can establish communication with the virtual machine on the remote Mac (the aforementioned steps should be performed on the other Mac also).
    The communication in this scenario is between two guest OS's on two Mac's while sharing is disabled. There should be no security risks as such.