Slow USB Performance (Build 3188)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ShapeShifter, May 10, 2007.

1. ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter Bit poster

I tried searching the forums for the answer but it looks like this was a problem with previous builds and not the most current.

I noticed slow USB performance but I didnt know it was this bad.

I have a flash drive (4 GB memorex) I tested (several times) on a PC and it performs with a R/W of around 11 megs/sec. This is expected as its not an ultra fast drive but when using the same drive on Parallels, I get somewhere around 3 megs/sec. I tried another drive just to make sure and it seems to top off in that vicinity.

Im using HD Tach for the evaluation

**Side note***. before this update, and currently, if I select the "check for updates" option, the progress bar comes up but doesnt go anywhere. I actually had to download the last DMG from the site instead of the software updating itself.

2. mavidal

mavidal Product Expert

I have been wanting to report this also, has to do with serial ports, the throughput is the pits even at 115000.

I use a Belkin USB to Serial port adapter to update a sattelite receiver firmware, what takes 30 seconds to a minute using my tablet PC I had to kill using parallels on the mac book pro since it was slow.

MV

3. ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter Bit poster

Im not using a Serial port adapter so I think youre issue is very diffrent than mine. First, Serial is a MUCH slower connection than USB 2.0 or even USB 1.0.

4. mavidal

mavidal Product Expert

I would agree, but the delta between naive serial on an xp laptop and parallels should not be this great. My effective througput was like 9.6kbps instead of 115kpbs that I get in a native environment.

MV

5. DenizC

DenizC Junior Member

It looks like, in 11 years Parallels have not cared about the problem.. In VirtualBox I get native like performance, but in Parallels USB is useless..

Is Parallels only for gamers but for professionals? Why should I buy a weak Mac machine to game on?