Does anybody knows how to repair xp

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by andrea@paesano.org, Oct 2, 2007.

1. andrea@paesano.org

andrea@paesano.org Bit poster

Hello,

do you know how to repair windows xp in parallels i receive a message that windows\system32 file is corrupted. when i try to repair nothing happens any suggestions before i uninstall and lose all my files?

Sincerely,

Andrea Paesano

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Yes, Google.com

3. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

i went thru similar situation and what i did was move my HDD to not be boot hdd and then setup my XP cd to be the boot disk. I then got into the repair and was able to repair it.
    this is a paraphrased version of the hours i spent to get my VM back, but might get you going...

4. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

try to look at this article. May be it will help.

Best regards,
    Stacey

5. andrea@paesano.org

Eru, are you the funniest in the house?

6. andrea@paesano.org

Thanks Ben and Stacey, will try this route and see what happens.

Sincerely,

Andrea

7. bulletproof

bulletproof Member

Hey Andrea,

Resolving this issue is addressed in my article here.

Hope it helps.

8. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Nope, but trying hard. :p

I feel generous: How to Repair Windows XP

Just the natural response. It's sorta like Hercules and the Greek.

An ancient greek farmer is driving a loaded cart with his ass, and it gets stuck in the muddy road. The farmer figures that since Hercules is so strong he'll pray to him and ask him to pull the cart out... So he starts to pray. Well big strong-a** Hercules shows up and says, "What? You want me to help? You are too lazy yourself. Get off your butt and push first." So the farmer tries pushing and gets his ass out.

The gods help those who help themselves, and if it's good enough for the gods, it's good enough for me. I'm all volunteer. ;)

(Parallels, if this is too poorly off topic, go ahead and PM me, I'll take the analogy out, I'm in a mad humor at the moment)

9. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

the aim on any board is to help users help themselves

there are FAQ all over the place
    googling will often find an instant answer

Why have you not cloned your VM as a a back up when it was running well?

I never repair a VM just delete it
    and go back to a clone and continue

Always keep your data in shared folders
    and back up to an external drive too

also back up onto the web if you can
    some of my datah as taken years to collect and survived several computers

Hugh W

10. andrea@paesano.org

Hugh,
    I googled and googled, I even have paid for support $29.99. I wanted to avoid to reinstall my programs, looking for all the passwords that i have to re-enter. I have all my data is backed up on a daily base on 5 different external hard drives. I'm new to parallels and virtual machines. I did not know that i can create a snapshot and if something goes wrong reinstall it. I guess i need to take a day off from work and read that book that comes with the software. :)

Sincerely,

Andrea

11. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Hugh is not talking about snapshots, he is talking about cloning the VM. That is copying the files. It is a VERY useful thing to do. I am a very 'lazy' person, if something goes screwball, I load last weeks VM up and onto the thing and the daily back-up files that my system spits out. Walla, got last nights data in less than 20 minutes.

I don't think you need a day, just an hour to peruse the book, at which point you will know conceptually all the different features of the software, if you want to implement some of them, spend an hour poking around about each one. Get a test vm up that you can decimate to your hearts content.

Finally, I don't think you got my point... I even gave you a google link with the first result talking about repairing Windows XP... As Hugh said, the forums are about helping others help themselves. Not us doing all the work for you, if you want that, start cutting us checks, we volunteer our time.

12. andrea@paesano.org

I was not being polemic to Hugh, I understood is point and I agree with you i do not want anybody to do the work for me but i would like to learn from other experiences. I don't is necessary for any of us to reinvent the wheels. I appreciate any help i can get; before even come and post here i have tried the microsoft support website i have tried to repair it myself. It was something that i do not know how to fix never operated a virtual machine before.

I think you guys have been very helpful; to bad i paid for support and they do not know anything that i had not tried before calling them.

I will try one more time bfore simply reinstalling everything from clean

Sincerely,

Andrea Paesano