Can't Shut Down Guests, Stoping Guests Stops Parallels (Can't Update, Support Can't Help)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by bobbyt, Jun 23, 2018.

1. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

I'm stuck in an infinite loop, and at the root of the problem is a separate issue I've had to battle with 2 different Windows 10 Guest OSs since the last update.

I discovered the issue when trying to select the option to update parallels desktop to the new version, but have been unable to do so...

My problem is the following:
    It's impossible for me to "shut down" the Windows 10 Guest OSs, when I try they immediately boot back up EVERY TIME. I have found no work around other than choosing "Stop" from the menu (risking my Guests every time I need to stop them).

When I "stop" my Guest OS, the main parallels program quits.

When I run the main parallels program, one of my Guest OSs boots, and of course once it finishes booting, it's impossible to shut down (loop).

I attempted to contact support, but they said they cannot help me unless I have them remote into my system. Problem is I work for a company in the healthcare industry, and as such I'm concerned about the possibility of possibly exposing HIPPA information.

I attempted to ask for help in finding a method to open the main Parallels Desktop application and prevent it from automatically starting any Guest OSs, but the support member indicated they could not help me outside of establishing a remote session...

Seeing as the support team refuses to help me, I'm hoping someone here can...

In the mean time I need to figure out why I'm paying for a Pro account since the support services are so limited...

2. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

Seek and you shall find I guess...

I decided to try holding some keys while starting parallels, I started with shift, and that did the job, I installed with no problem...

I tested the restart problem and it happened again, but an error showed this time. I traced the error to the following article, and after following the steps it seemed to fix the problem:

https://kb.parallels.com/en/124449

3. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hello bobbyt, I am sorry for the inconvenience caused to you, We are glad to hear that you found the correct solution and resolved the issue.
    Please feel free to reach us any time for any queries regarding Parallels.