1 Windows Guest VM cannibalized a second one?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by bobbyt, Jul 8, 2018.

1. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

This appears to be an extension of a separate problem I posted about a couple weeks ago or so...

When I open 1 Windows Guest VM, a separate, unrelated Windows Guest VM opens with it.

Furthermore, the secondary Guest seems to prevent the one I'm trying to run from opening properly...

That is to say, they both load when I open the first. I shut down the second and close the window.

I try switching back to the first I wanted to work with, and it's been quit, as has the whole parallels desktop application...

SO... I try re-running the Guest Windows VM again, to find out what happens next, go back up to the second line of my post and re-read everything...

If you re-read the repeated pattern above 6 or 7 times and that is how I spent the last 90 minutes, when I should have been working...

How do I open the 1 guest without the second one coming into play??? It's like the second one has possessed the first one and made it impossible to use...

2. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

Moved the Guest I didn't want start to the trash and was able to get in and get things working...
    A bit extreme, but...

I never did figure out any good means to get unstuck from the position where Coherence is active but Parallels Desktop doesn't seem to know that...
    [​IMG]

3. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi bobbyt. If you're saying that Windows is in Coherence mode already by "Coherence is active", then I'm sorry to differ by saying that Windows is not in the Coherence mode at all, from what I see in the screenshot (if it is, then the option 'Exit Coherence' will appear under View). The fact that the option 'Enter Coherence' is greyed out tells me that Parallels Tools aren't installed. Let's rectify this by installing the same.

4. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

I'm confused them, perhaps you can clarify whats happening.

The green desktop picture you see is my Mac desktop.

The settings window you see is a Windows 10 window...

If this ins't coherence then what mode is active that enables a Windows 10 based window to freely float above a mac desktop???

5. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

I've re-installed parallels tools once specifically for this issue (dating back to early May) but the problem did re-occur afterwards. Since then there has been at least one Parallels Desktop version update, and it also required a Parallels Tools re-install, and that one doesn't appear to have fixed the issue either...

When this occurs the one solution I found is to reboot the guest... I don't notice the problem that often because I don't really change modes that often, but around once a month or so I make an effort to update my installed Windows apps, which usually cause a lot of reboots. Those reboots cause the Guest to automatically exist coherence when restarting, then re-enter coherence upon booting back up...

6. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Yes, you're referring to Coherence mode. Please shut Windows down, open the virtual machine configuration window, navigate to Options -> Startup and Shutdown -> Custom and select 'Window' for 'Startup View'. Then, start Windows up again. Once Windows is up and running, click on the option 'View' in the virtual machine macOS menu and let us know which options appear below that.

7. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

I end up with the following...
    [​IMG]

8. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

It looks like the screenshot didn't attach properly, so I'm trying again...

This is what I get:
    [​IMG]