Is the pvm file portable?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by MikeFromMesa, Jul 14, 2018.

1. MikeFromMesa

MikeFromMesa Member

I was wondering if a pvm file, created on one Mac, can be used on another. In my particular case I created a Windows 10 pvm file on a Mac Mini (running High Sierra) and wanted to know if I could then run that VM on a MacBook Pro, also running High Sierra. My Parallels version is 13.3.2. Has anyone tried doing this?

I know that Parallels is only licensed to a single computer, but if I have two licenses, or if I deactivate the license on one machine and activate it on another, could I then run the VM on the second machine? Or would I have to create a new VM? I suppose this is actually two questions. First, would it work? Second, is there any licensing issue that would prevent a Windows VM from being run on two different machines?

2. Ilya Verbin

Ilya Verbin Junior Member

Yes, it's portable.

3. MikeFromMesa

MikeFromMesa Member

Thank you. I did try it and it did open up on my MacBook Pro properly.

This whole issue came up because I was having problems opening a photo editor under the VM on my Mac Mini and I wondered if it was because there was no separate graphics card on the Mini, but opening the VM on the MacBook Pro had exactly the same issue, so the problem is not related to the graphics card.

Anyway, now I know, so thank you again.