Tricks or suggestions to compress faster

Discussion in 'Parallels Compressor' started by lucaseve, Sep 5, 2007.

1. lucaseve

lucaseve Member

Hi everybody,

I would like to reduce the size of my virtual disks (C: and E:) to get back some space.
    It seems that operation is pretty slow and I need my VM every day so I don't have more than 10 or 12 hours to complete it; the image files are 53 and 19 GBytes.
    Would the operation faster if I optimize the disks with Norton before to compact them? If yes how much (more or less..) ?
    Does anybody know any other way to speed up?
    Thanks.

Best regards,

Luca Severini

2. Leonard

Leonard Member

Yes, faster would be better

I have not had any problems compressing, but boy does it take a while. I have been compressing my Windows VM for 15+ hours now, down from 16+GB to 10GB so far, but 15 hours is B R U T A L.

Is there anything that we can do to cut this time down? Compress more often? Change disk settings/type?

3. Leonard

Leonard Member

2 more hours has saved it down to under 8GB, but still looks like 15-20% mroe to go on the progress bar.

I have never canceled a compression, in fact I worked from home today to make sure I don't end up killing my VM letting it run while in the car for an hour. Will it pick up where it left off, start from scratch but take less time, take just as long? :)

Most importantly, is the cancel clean such that my VM does not suffer any ill effects, worst of which being not able to mount again?

Edited at 1:50pm to add: 2 more hours and down to 6.75 GB. Maybe 10% more to go on the bar.

Edited at 3:50pm to add: Total time 22.5 hours. Total size reduction 10GB. Final image size 6.3GB.

Liked the results, just did not like how long it took.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  4. lucaseve

lucaseve Member

Hy everybody,

I'm compacting a virtual file containing two disks from a size of ˜72GB to a projected final size around 28GB (the real amount of space I'm using in both disks).
    I calculated the operation took around 5.6 MBytes a minute therefore I will need almost four complete days to perform the operation.
    It seems to me (I'm not sure anyway) that is possible to cancel the task and restart it later from the same point (of course you shouldn't use the virtual file to avoid any fragmentation that could cause unpredictable results).
    I strongly suggest to check the temperature of the disk along the operation...I had problems with a 2.5" 250GB disk inside an external case with no cooling...
    I'll let you know the final result.

Bye

Luca Severini