Possible corruption of Windows 10 VM - at least trying to recover files

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by WesA1, Apr 3, 2018.

1. WesA1

WesA1 Bit poster

I have a client running the latest Mac OS and was trying to install an app (Spideroak) when the Windows side froze. The user tried a couple times to restart Parallels and finally had to shut the Mac down and try again. Parallels spun on reboot and finally indicate that "An error occurred while accessing the Hard Disk 0 used by Windows 10". Error ID: PRL_ERR_DISK_READ_FAILED (80021029), errno=0 (Undefined error: 0).
    Restarted the Mac and removed the .mem file in Parallels as we were hoping that at least it would not try to restart a suspended vm. Then I tried to run the prl_disk_tool check on the hdd file. That failed as it thinks the virtual disk is in use:
    Unable to perform the operation because the virtual machine that uses this disk is not stopped. Shut down the virtual machine and try again.
    At this point I minimally need to recover some files from the vm but obviously it would be better to just be able to restart it. When I try to mount the hdd the finder becomes unstable.

2. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hello WesA1, kindly follow this article < https://bit.ly/2Gv2iFF > and check if it helps.

3. WesA1

WesA1 Bit poster

Hi Aj. There are no I/O errors that can be seen. I can use the Parallels Mount app on the hdd file and see the Windows HD directory structure. I can see some files at various levels, but when I try to access the user's Document files, that folder is empty. After clicking around for a bit, the Finder ceases responding to my mouse pointer clicks. I desperately need to recover the user's files and of course it would great if I could actually boot this VM again. He's had nothing but problems with Parallels in the past year or so.

4. WesA1

WesA1 Bit poster

Parallels reports "accessing the Hard Disk 0 - Resource temporarily unavailable" after a bit of Windows saying "Preparing automatic repair".

5. MarceloL4

MarceloL4 Bit poster

Anyone find a response to this...I get this error after trying to reclaim some disk space back from my VM.

Error ID: PRL_ERR_DISK_READ_FAILED (80021029), errno=0 (Undefined error: 0).

I can press retry all I want, but it keeps popping back up.
    So let's bump this up, because this can't be acceptable.

6. EricS16

EricS16 Bit poster

Hello
    I am having exactly the same issue as Marcelo4. I tried what was suggestted int he article mentioned to no avail I would really appreciate some guidance as t what to do next. Thanks

7. EricS16

EricS16 Bit poster

This is my error message: PRL_ERR_DISK_READ_FAILED (80021029), errno=0 9Undefined error:0) This happend after Windows wanted to clean unused disc space. The process started and then y screen went black and my comuter crashed. I am using Mac os 10.13.6

8. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @EricS16, we would recommend you to check your system.log for errors in the Console (Applications/Utilities/Console). Type "i/o" (without quotes) at Console's search bar and check if you can see "I/O error"

9. EricS16

EricS16 Bit poster

Hello:
    I was able to get a hold of a support person at Parallels and she was excellent and had my problem resolved very quickly. Long story short, we re installed a clean Parallels, went back in time machine and used a .pvm Windows from before the corruption, and I only lost about a days time and a few hours of work. I suppose that is successs.

10. LambeH

LambeH Bit poster

I got message Error ID : PRL_ERR_DISK_READ_FAILED (90021029), errno=35 (Resource temporarily unavailable) after performed reclaimed disk space (Not sure if it is successfully or not as it looks like hung). I am using Windows 7

mustafay1 likes this.
  11. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hello LambeH, Kindly follow the instructions from this link < https://bit.ly/2Gv2iFF > and check if you get any I/O error.