OS10.4.3 as a Guest OS

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Mike_Brown, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Mike_Brown

Mike_Brown Bit poster

I need to run OS10.4.3 in order to use an old ALPS printer which I use to prints decals (transfers). I know that once upon a time this was not possible but in the 10 or so intervening years has this now become possible to run OS10.4.3 as a guest OS please?

2. ParallelsU130

ParallelsU130 Member

As far as I know (and maybe you'd better wait 2 months for someone from Parallels to magically appear and either confirm or deny this) you cannot run anything earlier than 10.5 (Leopard) and even then you must use the Server version. This is IIRC more to do with Apple's EULA than with any inherent limitation in Parallels software.

You might find that buying an old Mac off eBay or somewhere will be a better solution? Search for "Apple G4 laptop". You will need to have the software to install 10.4.3

3. Mike_Brown

Mike_Brown Bit poster

Thanks. Yes I knew this was the case way back when but wondered if time and common sense had changed anything, obviously not. I had this printer running off a G4 tower which finally gave up the ghost. My question was really made to find out if I could actually reduce the number of computers I have on the network by one at least!
    Thanks again.

4. ParallelsU130

ParallelsU130 Member

The common sense lacking here is Apple's. AFAIK they don't even allow OS 8 to be released for general free use. It's legacy software of no use to Apple as no-one's going to purchase it now.

5. Long ago you could find a hack to get around the "is this on a VM' check ... dunno if its still around. Try Google.

6. ParallelsU130

ParallelsU130 Member

There was actually an early version of Parallels (I can't remember which) that omitted the EULA check and allowed any version of OS X to be guested .. it was withdrawn pretty quickly! Try Google..

7. Mike_Brown

Mike_Brown Bit poster

Many thanks for all the suggestions, I'll try them all.