Cannot enter my ubuntu passwort any more

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Jabberwacky, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Jabberwacky

Jabberwacky Bit poster

Hi,

I successfully installed Ubuntu in Parallels for Mac and worked with it for some time. Today I switched my keyboard layout in Ubuntu from English to German, because I use a German Mac.

My admin password includes a # sign. Since I originally used English keyboard layout by mistake, that sign probably has been interpreted as \ (backslash). I don't really know, because when entering the admin password you don't see what you type, of course. But this is not the problem, because it consistently worked while I used the English keyboard layout on my German Mac.

As mentioned, now I configured Ubuntu to use German instead of English keyboard layout. So now in the Ubuntu login screen I am not able to enter my password any more (I removed English keyboard layout from the list, so I cannot switch). I assume that I need to type a \ (backslash), but the keyboard combination for backslash that works on a German Mac ⇧⌥7 does not work in German Ubuntu under Parallels. Copying the string through clipboard is not possible. In addition, Parallels allows sending some special keys to the OS, but that list does not include the backslash.

Any ideas? Thank you.

Best,
    Stefan
    Bildschirmfoto 2018-07-28 um 14.03.34.png

2. Jabberwacky

Jabberwacky Bit poster

Found it, backslash on German keyboard under Ubuntu in Parallels for Mac is ⌥ß - but it only works with the right ⌥ key. So now my keyboard table reached 90 pages. Just joking, it's only 3 pages.

3. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi Jabberwacky,
    Thank you for sharing this (Right ALT/Option + ß = \) with us. Let us know if you need further support or have any questions.