Baffling problem with network speed in XP

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jrotondo, Oct 3, 2007.

1. jrotondo

jrotondo Junior Member

I've got a MacBook Pro (15" Santa Rosa) and am running the latest version of Parallels using my Boot Camp partition as the VM. I'm running bridged networking.

At work (connected to a Microsoft network, behind a firewall, etc...), internet downloads slow and eventually hang after just a few seconds. To further test, I ran a speed test from dslreports.com using IE within Windows XP. It couldn't even make it through the Download speed test, which is the first test. By contrast, the Mac side of things runs as one would expect.

If I boot the machine in Boot Camp, I do not see this issue.

Here's the weirder part. If I take the machine home and connect to my Verizon FioS service wirelessly, I do not have the problem in Parallels or Boot Camp.

Anyone have any idea why my company's network would hang up network connections on my Parallels virtual machine?

2. strells

strells Product Expert

If you're using bridged networking, you're getting a separate IP for the VM from the DHCP server. Are you allowed to have more than one IP address at work? Does the MAC address of the VM need to be registered to obtain an IP? Are you behind a proxy?

Steve

3. jrotondo

jrotondo Junior Member

Steve,

These are good points. I'll have to ask our IT dept about the IP addresses, but I do know that we use no proxy server. I'll respond back when I know if I'm allowed to use more than one IP address on our network.

Thanks,
    John

4. jrotondo

jrotondo Junior Member

Using ipconfig /all within the VM command prompt, I can see that Windows XP has obtained an IP address, however I see a problem within the Network preferences of OS X. I've attached a screenshot, but the items from my Network panel read:

AirPort: AirPort is connected to the network <network_name>. You are connected to the Internet via AirPort.

Parallels Host-Guest: The cable for Parallels Host-Guest is connected, but your computer does not have an IP address and cannot connect to the Internet.

Parallels NAT: The cable for Parallels NAT is connected, but your computer does not have an IP address and cannot connect to the Internet.

Should I be concerned about these errors? Do I see these just because I'm connected by only wireless? The OS X network connection is working fine, so I cannot see why it would state that I'm NOT connected to the Internet.

Does anyone think that this may be part of my trouble?

Thanks.

Attached Files: